Interesting Bass Clarinet Behaviour

tictactux

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
So I got that Bundy Clone Bass, and started changing the most necessary pads, until the good 'uns arrive, so that I can at least do as if I were playing it.
Interestingly, all lower register notes pop out fine, so do the notes in the middle register up to above-the-staff A. From there up to the upper break (C) it's really difficult, above in the altissimo it's fine again.

Now I am wondering what might cause this - sure, a leak, but why doesn't it affect the same fingerings in the lower register? Why doesn't it mess with the lower clarion notes?

As I said, I'll repad it anyway. I was just curious because I find it unlogical for an instrument to behave that way. ???

So I got that Bundy Clone Bass, and started changing the most necessary pads, until the good 'uns arrive, so that I can at least do as if I were playing it.
Interestingly, all lower register notes pop out fine, so do the notes in the middle register up to above-the-staff A. From there up to the upper break (C) it's really difficult, above in the altissimo it's fine again.

Now I am wondering what might cause this - sure, a leak, but why doesn't it affect the same fingerings in the lower register? Why doesn't it mess with the lower clarion notes?

As I said, I'll repad it anyway. I was just curious because I find it unlogical for an instrument to behave that way. ???

It's the lack of proper register key systems that student basses usually have.

If you look at a pro bass, there will be a vent on the neck itself for everything from 4th space E on up. The body vent/Bb tonehole is the register vent for 3rd line B up to D#.

Bundy's are notorious for pretty much refusing to speak from G on up.

It's the lack of proper register key systems that student basses usually have.

If you look at a pro bass, there will be a vent on the neck itself for everything from 4th space E on up. The body vent/Bb tonehole is the register vent for 3rd line B up to D#.

Bundy's are notorious for pretty much refusing to speak from G on up.
Thanks, that explains it.
What puzzled me was that my (Bundy too) Alto doesn't show these symptoms although the register mechanisms are identical.

My grandson is playing a Leblanc Paris bass clarinet (for the last 5 months) and getting the instrument to speak in the clarion range is a big challenge. But he's young (sixth grade) so he doesn't know enough to complain yet. I haven't let him play my Selmer Paris Priviledge yet because then he'd know... It truly is the instrument not the player. And he has made significant progress on the Leblanc so far.

Thanks, that explains it.
What puzzled me was that my (Bundy too) Alto doesn't show these symptoms although the register mechanisms are identical.

Size of the instrument. Alto's don't need the special mechanism.

Bundy Bass

My own (old) Bundy is well behaved throughout in spite of the lack of twin speakers.

I'm now trying out the contra-alto. Any advice from anyone (apart from DON"T!).
Martin

My own (old) Bundy is well behaved throughout in spite of the lack of twin speakers.

I'm now trying out the contra-alto. Any advice from anyone (apart from DON"T!).
Martin

I would never steer anyone clear of the contra who wants to try it.

OTOH, I'm curious about your Bundy, since I've never found one that speaks well on G on top of the staff.

As a young tad, I played a new Bundy horn for about three years. While it never measured up to a pro horn (which I occasionally would borrow from another district for special stuff), it was manageable enough once you got to know it. You learned to compensate for the defects of the "on the body" register key system, and with enough practice it became second nature for everything up to sixteenth notes.

Having said that, I have avoided such instruments since the late 1960's. I own one (loaned out at the current time), but would rather play one of my antique basses (Albert system) than that type of horn.

Back
Top Bottom