iPhone Music Apps

I e-mailed the folks at iRig/Sample Tank. Emphasis mine, in the response:

Hello Pete,

Thanks for your interest in SampleTank.

SampleTank and iRig MIDI will work with any MIDI device equipped with a standard 5-pin MIDI Out or MIDI In port. As long as your MIDI Device has a standard 5-pin MIDI connection, you can certainly use iRig MIDI, and by extension SampleTank.

Please do note, however, SampleTank currently does not receive many of the MIDI CC messages that a wind controller can send. At this time, SampleTank will receive MIDI Note on/off, Velocity, Pitch Bend and Modulation control. Additional MIDI CC messages can not be set to control parameters in SampleTank.

We are working on a new, free update for SampleTank that will allow you to assign different MIDI CC messages to different parameters in SampleTank. This update is not available yet, but it will be available soon. Please keep an eye on our website: www.ikmultimedia.com, for any news or announcements regarding future updates for SampleTank for iPhone/iPad.

I hope this helps. If you need additional help, please reply to this email.

Best regards,

Miguel Paucar
Technical Support
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
www.ikmultimedia.com

Check our FAQ section for quick answers 24/7! Visit:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq
Access your IK User Area here: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea
FWIW, I did get the free version of SampleTank and it does allow you to hear all the other instruments they have available, but not do anything else with them. As almost always, the sax is abysmal. The clarinet is OK. The flute is OK. The (Harmon, I think) muted trumpet is almost perfect.

I have just been experimenting with the WX5/iRig Midi/sampletank/iPad combo for the last day or so. It sort of works, but with exactly the issues described. I got a very similar email from Miguel at IK Multimedia in response to my own inquiries about support for CC 2 & 11. Guess we'll have to wait and see what they come up with.

Some of the samples are pretty good, but I must concur that the saxes suck. Not a problem for me, as I would rather play my own anyway, it's the other axes that I'm after for potential performance scenarios. Some odd bits, though - some samples have a limited time duration, such as the Trumpet Mute instrument, and they will not sustain past a couple of seconds, thus making natural long-tone phrasing impossible. Some samples you can hold as long as you like, no matter what you use for a controller. I did not get a response on that one, will be following up again.

Guess it's the price paid for wanting to be on the bleeding edge.

Back
Top Bottom