Just played for the first time in years

I got my dad's clarinet out, bought a couple of Vandoren 2 1/2s last night, and played for the first time in years. Except for some intonation issues, sight reading difficulties, poor tone, forgotten fingerings, and terrible phrasing, it sounded great! :emoji_smile:

My son came home from school unexpectedly last night. He pulled out his classical guitar and we played a few songs together. He played the piano part.

Now I have to go, my face is exploding. Medic!
:)

Good for you!
Be careful, or the next thing you know you'll be looking for a band to join.:-D

Re-starting!

Picked up my Selmer CT for the first time in over thirty years in August and am now playing a first chair position in a local community band. Toughest part? - breath control as a now coach potato at age 61.

Steve promises me that LONG tones are the key here - I wonder if he defines a long tone differently than I do currently?:emoji_rolling_eyes:

Just practice at home for 30 minutes a day for the next few months. You will be surprised at how fast the rust gets knocked off your chops.

Yup, it's like riding a bike. Except for those of us who got by in band just on our good looks. :oops:

Now the real practicing and learning is taking place. Wish I'd worked this hard in school oh so many years ago.

Last edited:
just remember that a clarinet is difficult to play in the beginning. Remember those beginner student days .. squeaks and squaks from not covering all the toneholes properly. At least you are past that !!

:)

and just like anything .. with practice it will all come back in due time

Tony, is your face still exploding? I got to pull out the ol' licorice stick at a Big Band practice and I squeaked so bad,... the first time. The next go was sublime; for me not necessarily my listeners. I'm subbing and I will have played most of the charts once or less. Oh and three days before the gig, I get the solos. Interesting. No really.

Back
Top Bottom