Labor issues summary postings

SOTSDO

Old King Log
Staff member
CE/Moderator
For those who aren't in the union and thus don't receive International Musician for a handy monthly summary of what's goin' on in the labor relations field, here is a round up, all in one place:

Philadelphia:

Filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The orchestra, with an endowment rumored to top $140,000,000, claims that they don't have the funds for payroll, and are seeking to dump the union pension system. This is the first major US symphony to take this route.

Syracuse Symphony:

After selling a season's worth of tickets, the board wants to go the Chapter 7 route. They are refusing to refund the tickets, and are seeking to completely dissolve the orchestra.

Louisville Symphony:

Seeking Chapter 11, but the courts turned down their request to dump the union pension system.

Honolulu Symphony:

Filed Chapter 7 in late 2009, case still pending.

New Mexico Symphony:

Threatening bankruptcy.

Detroit Symphony:

Strike settled, musicians back to work but with substantial concession on their part.

Even the "one-orchestra-to-a-state" plan (for example, Paducah and Frankfort don't field comparable organizations) looks to be on shaky ground. I would not want to be considering a career in art music performance at this point in time.

North Texas State, one small state college among hundreds with excellent to good music programs, graduates six to eight such folks in the clarinet field each year...

Wow, this is astonishing but not quite unexpected I suppose. The Seattle Symphony brings in so much more than classical material into the season that I can't imagine them dissappearing anytime soon. It pays to have a realistic, vibrant, and flexible program director to keep those seats filled.

The Benaroya Hall is gorgeous, especially the organ on the main stage. I say this because it would seem most of the discussion about professional orchestra's have been about them failing.

Back
Top Bottom