Low Register Exercises

Groovekiller

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
One of my tests for a great playing tenor is the ease with which I can play a subtone G1 followed by a subtone Bb1 without difficulty. There is a passage in "Don't Blame Me" where I like to play that sequence. Specifically the 1st 2 notes of the 5th measure or elsewhere where the melody repeats that phrase.

dbm.gif

Al, I missed this post when it first appeared. That's a great test for the low register. At least it's more musical than what I've been using to test my repairs. I'm going to start using it, and for the REAL acid test, 1/2 step higher ought to show whether I got everything right.

Al, I missed this post when it first appeared. That's a great test for the low register. At least it's more musical than what I've been using to test my repairs. I'm going to start using it, and for the REAL acid test, 1/2 step higher ought to show whether I got everything right.

I also use the bridges to "Body and Soul" and "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes." The former drops from D# to B, which isn't difficult to sound, but the tone in that transition is a good test of horn, setup and chops.

The latter, however, is one about which a seasoned tenor player told me, "Don't even bother with that Ab1,Bb1,Db1 8th-note triplet."
smoke.gif

He plays Ab1,F1,Gb1. Or Ab1,Bb2,G. It's a challenge, and on the bandstand, I have to feel really comfortable in the lower register to play the original phrase. Otherwise, I use his workaround.

Last edited:
I also use the bridges to "Body and Soul" and "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes." The former drops from D# to B, which isn't difficult to sound, but the tone in that transition is a good test of horn, setup and chops.

The latter, however, is one about which a seasoned tenor player told me, "Don't even bother with that Ab1,Bb1,Db1 8th-note triplet."
smoke.gif

Try this Al. In the 2nd measure play the F-Ab-C normally then play the Bb with the low Bb fingering blowing the first overtone (no octave key). Then keep the LH pinky on the Bb key for the Ab, which sets you up for the low Bb that follows. Go across the roller to the Db(C#) and then keep the little finger on the Db key for the Ab at the end of the phrase.

The only awkward fingering is the roll from the Bb to the Db which can be worked out with a little practice.

John

I find coming into the Bb with a more arched finger allows for a slide (across the rollers) to the Db. Iffen you go in with the finger flatted out, it's harder to make the clean transition between the two notes.

It's a habit that came from a lifetime of bass clarinet playing, where "sliding" isn't really something you can do, at least not with the left little finger. On my principal basses, I have the auxiliary Eb/Ab key for the left hand (thank you, Henri Selmer), so sliding is not needed on either hand; when I made the transition to the brass horns, the habits carried over to the sax.

Try this Al. In the 2nd measure play the F-Ab-C normally then play the Bb with the low Bb fingering blowing the first overtone (no octave key). Then keep the LH pinky on the Bb key for the Ab, which sets you up for the low Bb that follows. Go across the roller to the Db(C#) and then keep the little finger on the Db key for the Ab at the end of the phrase.

The only awkward fingering is the roll from the Bb to the Db which can be worked out with a little practice.

John

Thanks. Fingering isn't really the issue. I have a slightly different fingering pattern that works well for me. I play the Bb2 normally with the side key fingering. Then I play the Ab by using the low Bb key instead of the G# key. Then close the right hand keys and slide my left pinky up to play the Db.

The problem I have with that phrase is blowing a reliable subtoned low Bb in that note sequence with legato and having it sound correctly without honking.

On my Yamaha 875 tenor playing the Bb2 with the long fingering seems to facilitate the low Bb's response following the Ab. I'm not sure why it works, but it makes a big difference. It's more of an "acoustic" solution than a fingering shortcut. ;)

John

Back
Top Bottom