Martin Busine clarinet?

Anybody ever heard of this brand? This particular horn is hard rubber with a metal lined upper joint. I'm going to give it a repad/overhaul and see what it's like, though I doubt it'll amount to much.

Anybody ever heard of this brand? This particular horn is hard rubber with a metal lined upper joint. I'm going to give it a repad/overhaul and see what it's like, though I doubt it'll amount to much.
Martin Busine is a stencil brand. Their saxes came from Ida Maria Grassi, their wooden clarinets came from some other Italian maker (Borgani would be my guess) and your metal-lined HR specimen sounds as if it were a Martin Frères "La Monte".
I once had a wooden Clarinet, and still have my Alto Sax; the clarinet was nice, the Sax is great.

Their saxes came from Ida Maria Grassi ...
With stencils, it's always, "Some of their ..." I've seen Dolnet saxophones stenciled as Martin Busine.

The entire upper joint is lined with metal? That sounds interesting. Admittedly, I don't know that much about vintage clarinets, but anyone know if metal-lining was a common thing?

With stencils, it's always, "Some of their ..." I've seen Dolnet saxophones stenciled as Martin Busine.

The entire upper joint is lined with metal? That sounds interesting. Admittedly, I don't know that much about vintage clarinets, but anyone know if metal-lining was a common thing?

Okay, I stand corrected - *many* of their saxes came from Grassi.

Per the metal-lined HR clarinets - there's Pruefer ("Silver Throat") and there's Martin ("La Monte") who did 'em. I'd say Martin made the Busine Pegasus, but that's just a guess.

Any ideas as to why? Just reinforcing the thing against cracks or something else?

They're both hard rubber clarinets - I don't think they'd crack.

I guess it was a marketing idea, much in line with resonators made of kryptonite and with golf ball dimples. To give it a brighter/bigger/better/smoother/yadda,yadda sound.

I guess it was a marketing idea, much in line with resonators made of kryptonite and with golf ball dimples. To give it a brighter/bigger/better/smoother/yadda,yadda sound.
Ya know, Mythbusters put golf-ball dimples on a car and it got about twice the gas mileage ....

Something to test: we know that popping a wine bottle cork into your saxophone's bell can make it easier to play low notes. See if a golf ball works better. Or if it just puts a dent into your bell.

As far as the clarinet with metal reinforcement is concerned, I'm now assuming it was from the musical line of self-protection devices. Y'know, you're playing a gig and you're getting heckled. Bop 'em over the head and keep playing.

Back
Top Bottom