Meet the Woodinville Community Bands

Discussion in 'The Community Band' started by Gandalfe, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The Woodinville Community Band (a 501c or charity organization) is based in a suburb of Seattle. It's biggest sponsor is Microsoft who pays $17 an hour to to Microsofties who participate excluding practice time. The band consists of:

• Woodinville Concert Band with over 60 players
      Woodinville Jazz Ensemble with 18 players
      Woodinville Big Band with 20 players

There are also some adjunct combos. All bands have waiting lists for people waiting to get in. None of the bands have auditions... yet. All bands have professional directors, ringers (pro/semi-pro musicians) in lead or principle parts, and the new music budget is between $1000 - $2000 yearly. Uniform is usually white over black, black over black, Hawaiian (multi-colored, think loud) over black or tan pants/skirts.

There is a board of directors for the following positions:

• President
      Vice President
      Treasurer
      Secretary
      Director of Membership
      Director of Publicity
      Director of Events

This frees up the directors to select new music purchases, select music and concerts, and work with the bands.

Sample music played include:

Concert Band

• Poet and the Peasant
      Variations of a Korean Folk Song
      Festive Overture

Jazz Ensemble
    Example video before the band was split to start the Big Band

• Honk
      Residual Fire Dance
      Nasty Bit of the Blues

Big Band
    Starts Practicing May 2008

• In the Mood
      Hayburner (Basie)
      String of Pearls

There are many community bands and orchestras in the Seattle and surrounding suburbs. But as more baby boomers (born '46 to '64) get closer to retirement, there is more competition to find a band to play with. And most of the community bands play old music and marches because they do not have the budget that the WCB is so fortunate to have at this time.

Tags:
  2. Gandalfe

3. sideC

sideC Artist in residence Distinguished Member

Yes! I listened to the 'Lord of the Rings' performance on youtube last night.....and was totally blown away! You guys, and gals, did a masterful job of representing what I'm sure the composer wanted when that piece was written. I didn't mention Molly Pond in my youtube comment because I wanted to stick to the overall aspect, the total ensemble performance. But I think that the first note of her solo sort of sets the tone, creates the momentum, for the rest of the piece.

This kind of playing inspires me!

Julian

4. jbtsax

jbtsax Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

Color me envious. What a great opportunity to have a group like that so close to where you live.

5. Gandalfe

Thanks guyz. I don't know how we got so lucky, but Suzy (clarinet, and now sax) and I are gonna ride this train until it stops. Note, I couldn't find a sax quartet, so I created one of those so that we advertise for this community band before our big concerts.

6. Gandalfe

TrueTone likes this.