My first Chinese clarinet experience

SOTSDO

Old King Log
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I have just finished playing the Clarinet I book in a school production of The Sound Of Music, this at an area private school that regularly uses "ringers" to structure their pit orchestras. As part of this process, we have some students scattered here and there in the group, generally playing alongside of an adult.

In this case, the Clarinet II book was being doubled by a young freshman, playing (as I discovered at the Sunday matinee) a Jean Baptiste soprano clarinet. Normally he had sat on the other side of the adult on the part, and so I wasn't able to hear him up close and personal. However, this day he was on his own and moved over to sit next to me.

And, that's when I first heard what was going on. The young fellow was good enough on articulations, and kept up well with all of the choppy parts as we moved through the book. However, I gradually noticed that some of the notes that he was playing were way, way, WAY off on pitch.

Specifically, his C below the staff was more like a B# in the untempered scale. Since the majority of his part stayed away from that particular note, it only came up occasionally, but when it did he was way out of the chord.

During the intermission, I asked him if he was having trouble with the horn, and he said that he couldn't make any of the notes on the lower joint speak when in the lower register. I put my mouthpiece on his horn, and then I found out about Chinese clarinets.

Yes. the lower register would not speak below A. But, the worst thing was the C below the staff - better than a half-step flat no matter what I would do. Also, the fingered B was so muffled as to be useless (the forked B was okay), and the throat tones were very different than the rest of the notes on the horn.

Also, the crows-foot was out of adjustment, and nothing that I could do (with a bassoon player's reed pliers) could bring it back - the thing would not bend well.

The young guy said that his grandfather had bought the horn for him, and he had been using it in this same condition since the start of the school year. (In defense of his band teacher (no private teacher), she has been seriously ill the entire school year and her band has basically been run by the school's choir teacher in her absence.)

I gave him my Bb clarinet for the second act (the school did not have another working Bb clarinet) and played the second act on my A, transposing (usually successfully) on the fly. I also told him (and his teacher) to have his parents call me (which has not yet happened).

I have never played any working clarinet that was as poorly out of tune with itself as was this instrument. While there may have been some mechanical issues involved that I could not resolve with the limited means at hand, the portions of the horn that were undoubtedly working were wrong, wrong, wrong. And, that flat C was just the way it was, no ifs, ands or buts.

At least I know what kind of clarinet to look for the next time I need to make one of my clarinet wall hangings...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen these instruments at the local Sam Ash. It is their house brand. I've not been overly impressed by the saxes and the clarinets looked to be even worse. The kid would be better off on a vintage Bundy that is in good repair or better yet a Signet.

I have never played any working clarinet that was as poorly out of tune with itself as was this instrument. While there may have been some mechanical issues involved that I could not resolve with the limited means at hand, the portions of the horn that were undoubtedly working were wrong, wrong, wrong. And, that flat C was just the way it was, no ifs, ands or buts.

At least I know what kind of clarinet to look for the next time I need to make one of my clarinet wall hangings...

<shudder> Oy. Brrr. Puagh. Boo. Hiss.

Did this specimen at least come in a halfway decent case? I mean, there must be something usable in that whole setup, no?

In one of the other forums someone was using a MAG machine on a CSO (Clarinet Shaped Object, ie Chinese). they could not located which pad(s) leaked.

They ended up submersing the joint and found out the entire body was permeable.

Of course, I assume not all CSOs are like this and it (hopefully) was an earlier design material. there are some good instruments coming out of China nowadays but it's still buyer beware.

Last edited:
I see this story repeated over and over again. That is why, without teacher's creditials I will give family, late bloomers, and the occasional charity auction winner two to three lessons just to evalute the instrument, the tools (metronome, tuner and such), and the practice materials. Usually at the last lesson I make a recommendation for an appropriate teacher based on the instrument, skill level and economics of the situation.

chinese

I started on a chinese clarinet when I was 17 in 1970. My mother bought it for me through a store catalogue. I used it for at least 10 years before giving it to my then brother in law. He took it to a tutor who said it played really well. It was wood, cant recall the name, but that is a long time ago. Maybe they built them in those days properly rathe rthan as a mass produce leisure item?

Those wo have read anything I have posted re Chinese saxes in the SOTW forum will know my feelings there. I have a couple of very good and ok sop and alto horns, yet fully understand there is plenty of rubbish around. Perversely if a student bought a cheap ebay sax it would need endless hours of work and tech costs to make it possibly playable, however for less than the cost of some of these Chinese clarinets they could buy a damn good horn off Ebay and if necessary have it tweaked up. They would then have an instrument they could keep for years and enjoy.

By the way after my Chinese clarinet I bought a B&H Regent (plastic) which I still have and worked just fine. These sell on Ebay for pennies. EAsy blowing, stable and reasonable sound, why not for students?? There are a lot more here in the UK though.

Yesterday, when walking around at Sam's Club, I got to look at one of their "junk" clarinets as they had a sample laying there, out of the box and out of the display case that I have seen them in before.

It handled about as well as a regular horn, and the alignment of the pads to the seats "looked good" (I had no mouthpiece and reed along to try to play the beast. Oddly, for a $129.97 instrument, it had an adjustable thumbrest. It also had a bendable crow's foot and a screw on the A key.

Some day, when not bothered by clearing out for a hurricane, I'll take a mouthpiece and reed along and see what happens.

Chinese, Taiwanese, American. All are capable of manufacturing low cost
passable products, but how long will they last ? Take a look at this ad for a Chinese scooter on craigslist.

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/837501152.html

" Only 234 miles ! Otherwise in great shape ! " What a POS !

The company is an American outfit, with their products being built in
China and Mexico. According to their website, " in accordance with US
standards ... "

Crap knows no geographic boundaries.

Don't forget about certain Korean products. Sure their cars are pretty good. but i was looking at some brand motorcycle ... good looks, great price. Then I read some online reviews. bad built engines, bad bearings, etc. Descriptions reminded me of the old Yugo cars

Back
Top Bottom