My first evening of practice...

This evening was the first evening that I have been able to dedicate a goid chunk if time. to practising my saxophone. Prior commitments and feeling unwell had got in the way since I got it a few days ago.

The first few minutes were very squeaky. Sometimes I hit the right note but out came out in different octaves, and other times it was nowhere bear what I was assuming for. It did get a lot better, though, and I have learned a few notes, including a couple with the octave key, and I am getting better at not accidentally pressing a palm key and wondering what was going on... :)

I am so happy to have bought the saxophone. I feel really elated to have made a little progress and can hardly wait to get back to it. That is really all I am posting this for - to say how pumped I am, but I might just ask a couple of, erm, moisture-related questions. Firstly, it seemed that the reed need to get really wet from playing before it responded well, but is it perhaps just that it became easier because I got used to playing out a bit? I had soaked it in water for fifteen minutes or so before playing, but it seemed to get better when it was drenched in spit. Is that usual, or is it just a matter of everyone being different?

Also, is it normal for the saxophone to drip after playing it for a couple of hours? Whilst playing it, I mean. Perhaps I need to be more mindful of my posture. I think it was coming from the open key holes on the bell. The swab was certainly pretty wet after I finished with it!

Hope that isn't too gross, though I suppose all woodwind players are familiar with spittle...

First of all, congratulations on the purchase of your horn and your commitment to play music on the saxophone. It is inspiring for me to read your post and to see the joy that the saxophone is bringing to you. Good for you!

I assume that you're playing an alto or tenor. If that's the case, you might want to tip the horn over after every 10 to 15 minutes of practice and let the moisture run out of the bell. Make sure that you have a firm grip on the bell and not the keys when you do this. You don't want to drop the horn, but you also don't want to mangle the sensitive key work by holding too firmly to the keys and rods. Tipping the horn will remove excess moisture that has settled in the bell.

You will condition the various parts of the oral system over time as you develop your chops. This will not happen overnight, but each time you play, you will be getting stronger. So, if you're just starting out, things may be a little juicy, saliva wise. Don't let this worry you. As your lips, tongue and throat strenthen, and your air column becomes more acurate, the moisture won't be flying as freely. In the meantime, don't let this bother you, just keep picking up your horn.

As far as the reeds are concerned, try to make sure that you're playing on the proper strenth for a beginner, a number 2 or 2 1/2 is strong enough for now. Reeds can drive you nuts, so try not to be too analytical just yet , just soak 'em up and play.

Good luck, and keep playing!

Julian

Thank you. I won't usually be in a position to put in that much practice every day, but I certsinly intend to play as much as I can and to get as good as I can. The sax is an alto. I am grateful that the end curves upwards and therefore catches much of the moisture, bit I was a little surprised at quite how much there was!

I am using Vandoren blue box reeds, strength 2. I thought at the beginning of my practice that I might need to drop a level, but I think my embouchure got better over time - until the end when I couldn't feel my mouth enough to carry on.

Actually, whilst I think of it, should I dry off the pads each time I play with cleaning papers? I have the unpowdered version, as it deems electrolyte say the powdered ones can be harmful.

No, you don't need to dry the pads after each playing. Just tip the horn over to get rid of excess moisture. Then, if you haven't done so already, get a good pull through swab and carefully draw it through the horn from the bell end. Do this a few times when you are finished playing, and you should be good to go. Stay away from anything with powder. Powder will turn into a gummy type substance and promote key sticking.....which is a nightmare.

The Vandoren blue box 2's should be on the money. If you want a slightly softer reed, the Vandoren Java, in the green box, is slightly less resistant.

Sounds like you're getting a good start....keep us posted.

Julian

Actually, whilst I think of it, should I dry off the pads each time I play with cleaning papers? I have the unpowdered version, as it deems electrolyte say the powdered ones can be harmful.
Save your cleaning papers - if you think some pads are really wet, dry them with strips of household paper (aka kitchen roll) and leave the sax on the stand (or in the open case) a bit to dry.

Thanks again. I have no idea what I meant by 'deems electrolyte', but perhaps 'some people'. In any case, I shall not use anything powdered.

I have kept the saxophone on its stand, ready to be played, for the last couple of days. I assume that won't do it any harm to leave it out, assuming no unwanted intervention from children or cats? I am completely new to all this, so sorry if I am being a bit dim.

I did discover today that the placement of the reed on the mouthpiece can make a hite difference. When I started playing this evening, I could hardly get a sound from it, which neighbours were probably happy about, but I wasn't. I noticed that the reed was a bit below the end of the mouthpiece, perhaps by an eighth of an inch. When I made it level with the tip of the mouthpiece, the difference was incredible.

On its stand ready to play except the reed, which is in the plastic sleeve that the reed came in, I mean. And taken apart and cleaned before being put back together again.

I'd keep neck and mouthpiece off the instrument, for the following resaons: You don't want the mouthpiece to compress the neck cork over extended periods of time. And in order to properly position the reed on the mouthpiece, and the mouthpiece on the neck, it easiest with the neck off the instrument. Besides, you disassembled them anyway when drying.
Plus, should the unspeakable happen and the instrument be knocked off its stand, you'd have at least an unblemished neck and mouthpiece.

Thanks again. Should the unthinkable happen, is it possible to fashion a kazoo with the lonely neck and some tissue paper...? ;-)

Back
Top Bottom