My new pit gig for the summer of 2008

I think that the prevalent feeling in the Great White North is that only those who speak English are allowed to consider themselves as Canadians, at least as far as feelings towards the US are concerned. They tend to ignore all of that mass of Province Quebec and the Maritimes.

We spent many a happy week up in Quebec City, while the boy attended and then worked at a hockey camp at Laval University, and it's a whole different world over there. Little flaws like no refills on fountain drinks were more than made up for by such things as the McHommard (a lobster salad sandwich at the Golden Arches) and old world charm. As long as you keep a a sharp eye on how they give you change for American money, they're all right.

I still don't understand the pizza shops that serve donuts. And dill on the pizza. THAT'S nasty.

On topic, Merlin, are you planning on doing the same gig next summer? If so, I may be able to schedule coming out there (well, Buffalo, but I might make the drive). Gotta get my passport, tho.

Do I sniff a WF staff get together in the making. I have some of Merlin's recordings, so Suzy and I'd go in a heartbeat. :D

I want hear him on the soprillo too. I still can't get above the C3. But then who'd want to subject anyone to that kind of noise. :emoji_astonished:

Gandalfe said:
I want hear him on the soprillo too. I still can't get above the C3. But then who'd want to subject anyone to that kind of noise. :emoji_astonished:

Perhaps you are hitting the notes Jim, it's just that the human ear can't ear that high. :emoji_smile: Have you by chance noticed an increase in the feral dog population around your house? ;)

Helen said:
Perhaps you are hitting the notes Jim, it's just that the human ear can't ear that high. :emoji_smile: Have you by chance noticed an increase in the feral dog population around your house? ;)
No, but my ol' dawg Shelby will get up and leave the room when I start playing the soprillo. ;)

How's the back coming Helen? We almost lost our Bass player permanently when he injured his back at the gym. They gave him steriods and somehow he got an infection. Spend some days in intensive care. We sooo miss him, he's a great guy with a good sense of humor and serious chops.

Gandalfe said:
Do I sniff a WF staff get together in the making. I have some of Merlin's recordings, so Suzy and I'd go in a heartbeat. :D

Hmmm...I tried Steve Carmichael's soprillo at the Navy Symposium a few years ago, and I think I managed to pop a D3 out.

Gandalfe said:
How's the back coming Helen? We almost lost our Bass player permanently when he injured his back at the gym. They gave him steriods and somehow he got an infection.
The kind of steroids you're supposed to take when you're injured, rather than the ones to make you like watching the Giants, suppress immune function. Infection is a real problem.

There are also lots of other rather not fun side effects.

Pete,

I haven't experienced an earthquake in California but did have a small one roll through central Illinois in the mid 1980's. I think it was maybe a 4.0. I remember seeing my wall move in my bedroom at home and thinking "we just had an earthquake".

Interestingly enough I just saw a show on cable the other night that talked about the most dangerous places to live and they said Tornado alley was number one. Thankfully I don't like in Kansas but Illinois is officially part of "tornado alley" and we have a surprisingly large number of tornadoes that hit the Chicago area every spring and summer. In fact, the only time I've ever actually been hit by a tornado was in northern Illinois. As I may have mentioned I grew up in central Illinois and saw the sky turn colors that I didn't think were possible and never actually saw a tornado in 20 or so years that I lived in that part of the state.

I was borned in IL. I remember tornado warnings there.

I also lived in Ft. Worth, TX for 6 years.

Amusingly, the only place where I've SEEN tornadoes is in Buffalo, NY -- and they were the only TWO in Buffalo over the past 100+ years.

Having lived in Iowa most of my childhood, I saw many tornados, some up close and personal! But I was never harmed by any of them. When I see them on TV now, we don't see them much in Washington state, I still feel that awe that comes from feeling totally insignificant and powerless.

I forgot to mention that I thought I was going to see one last fall. We had some terrible weather roll through and I had to leave the office to get my son from school and then bring him back up to my office so I could complete some patching. On the way back to the office I saw some very interesting updrafts unlike anything I have ever seen. My son innocently asks "daddy are we going to see a tornado?". My reply was "I hope not". A couple of towns right around our office were hit by a series of small ones.

Merlin said:
I just got word from the MD that the book is 50% bass clarinet, 20% tenor, 15% clarinet, 15% bass sax.
Ooh, I like the way you describe the book. I just posted a topic about Bret Pimentel's Woodwind Doubler for Broadway Musicals and notice that they don't include the percentages. Does any reference site do that for a player?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gandalfe said:
Merlin said:
I just got word from the MD that the book is 50% bass clarinet, 20% tenor, 15% clarinet, 15% bass sax.
Ooh, I like the way you describe the book. I just posted a topic about Bret Pimentel's Woodwind Doubler for Broadway Musicals and notice that they don't include the percentages. Does any reference site do that for a player?

Not that I know of.

It'd be handy - but it's difficult to codify.

Sometimes you're just better off knowing about the traps along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a nice surprise tonite.

One of the patrons at Thursday's preview took a shot from the front row during the exit music. He got my name from the program, and found my website, then e-mailed it to me.

2503282815_3b6e0117e4_o.jpg

You weren't kidding about it being a tight fit with all of your horns.

Great shot.

Back
Top Bottom