Need a 'Crown' for a Yamaha Flute

Discussion in 'Flutes' started by tharruff, Jun 3, 2010.

1. tharruff

tharruff

Hello,

Yesterday, I bought a Yamaha Flute which is to be given to one my wife's students, and it is missing the cap to the head joint which I have been told is called the 'crown'.

Would anyone happen to have one laying around that they would sell ?

Or perhaps a headjoint that is damaged beyond repair that the crown could be scavenged from ?

Please either reply to this thread or send PM.

The Flute is certainly playable 'as is' but we want to make it look nice for the girl.

Thank you.

Tags:
  2. jbtsax

jbtsax Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

The best advice would be to go to your local repair shop and see if they have a new or used one in stock or can order one for you.

3. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
  4. tharruff

tharruff

Crown

@Pete...apparently you must be a dealer to order...when I tried to order it, I was asked to provide a dealer number...

@jbt...there is no 'local' music store that close by to my house. The nearest one (about 25 miles away) closed last year. I was hoping to find a crown rolling around in somebody's drawer that I could buy through the forum.

I'll keep snooping around.

5. pete

6. clarnibass

clarnibass

Almost any repairer can probably get this part for you. Contact some repairers to check, I'm sure some can sell this online.

7. tictactux

tictactux Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

I do have a Yamaha crown. Fate has it, however, that a whole flute is attached to it. :)

8. simso

simso

Did you find one, if not PM me, I have a draw with about 3-400 of them in it (used), pay postage and all is good

9. jbtsax

jbtsax Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

I would imagine he found one by now. This thread is over two years old. :???:

10. SOTSDO

SOTSDO Old King Log Staff Member CE/Moderator

I once tried to order a new saxophone case from Yamaha. Back in the days of long distance telephone charges and no "internet" per se, I made call after unreturned call to the Yamaha mothership before I became bored/frustrated with the whole process.

Then, when the internet became reality for us in the middle of nowhere, I bought a brand new case for a YBS-52, apparently for a horn fitted with a floor peg like some sort of mutant bass clarinet. Apparently someone had bought a new horn, put the horn in a horn bag, and decided to make a few bucks in return by moving the case.

Dealing with musical instrument firms is a lot less productive these days than when I bought most of my instruments back in the 1960-1970 period.

11. pete

I don't know how many of today's baris are being sold with pegs, but I know that the Buffet S1 had it. Probably the S3, too.

I don't think I'd like to play bari like a bass clarinet, but different strokes 'n' stuff ....

12. tharruff

tharruff

Yes, I found one shortly after posting...I guess that I should have updated...

13. simso

simso

Cool.

I simply browsed this part of the forum and found your topic as the most recent post at the top of the page, I had not looked to see how long ago it was that you had started the topic. I assumed it was recent.

Good to see you have one, nothing more disconcerting than a piece missing, it effects not only how it looks but how we play and feel about the instrument as well.