New big band CD

Groovekiller

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
This is not an upcoming show. It's a new recording, and it's here now.

I was fortunate enought to participate in a recent recording by Frank Derrick. Frank was Cab Calloway's musical director, and I currently work with him in the Palm Beach Pops symphomy orchestra, where he is the assistant conductor and the glue that holds everything together.

The CD features both big band and small jazz groups, with world class players from Woody Herman, the Airmen of note, Stan Kenton, and the "unknown" studio players who you have heard more often than you know. It was recorded the old fashioned way, all at once, with the rhythm section. It takes good players to do it, but the groove is untouchable.

I got a baritone sax solo on the title track "The Beat Goes On," which is the Sonny and Cher tune but performed in multiple meters. Here's a link to the CD:

http://www.frankderrick.com/

Please send the link to your local jazz DJ. The CD is already climbing the charts. I'd like to be on a hit record again after 30 years.

I'd like to be on a hit record, period :).

I'll have to take a listen. We do have an "acoustic jazz" program on National Public Radio in PHX.

Back
Top Bottom