New Flute Teacher

Last month I had found a graduate student that is giving classes nearby. I decided to go to him to get some help staying on the right track. I had previously went to another teacher but I was a bit stubborn so didn't keep going with her.
This new teacher, after I asked him to make corrections on how I held the flute, told me basically the same thing. I had my head joint rolled in way too much. He also mentioned that this would cause you to lose tone colour.
So, instead of being stubborn I decided to do as he says and try it for a month. It's been a VERY frustrating month. I have basically started all over practicing tone, which at first was horrible if anything came out. Now it's starting to sound a bit better.

I find it interesting how a little change can make such a difference. I still have a lot of work to do but can already tell there is going to be a big difference when I get back to the point I was.

There are so many ways to go astray when you teach yourself or get the wrong instructor. My instruction in elementary school was done by a nice, polite, brass player who didn't really know too much about saxophones. I'm still trying to unlearn the bad habits I picked up there.

I've been working on air stream which is key for all woodwind instruments. I got lazy and was not pushing enough air. That was at first so frustrating to me that I considered leaving the instructor. But I persevered and I am finally starting to make some progress after a number of months.

I can imagine how frustrating it is.

On the bright side I am noticing that I'm improving my tone at a much faster rate than when I first started on my own.

The hardest part for me is that before my lips were very relaxed, now that I"m focusing the air stream much more I'm getting a huge lip workout.

Hope you do well!

I had a similar issue when I got a private teacher in 7th grade(now I'm in eighth). My teacher figured out that I was "Air tonguing." I was pretty frustrated, but now I have learned the right way.

EDIT: My assitant band director also figured out that I was using a double lip embouchure. I got frustrated at first because of the way my teeth vibrated.

It is very frustrating, and after a little over a month of practice I see that it is time to visit the instructor again. I've improved to a point and now I seem stuck.

Plus, one thing I'm finding is that before my lips were really loose, but now trying to keep a small and focus air stream my lip muscles are not happy at all!

Back
Top Bottom