Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

New Here and looking for advice for a piece I'm practicing.

First of all My name is Ivan aka pedra573, and I am looking for some advice on a piece I'm practicing. A little background about me, I used to play Clarinet al through Jr High and High School but have only recently begun practicing consistently since I graduated in 2007. Now that I have some more time on my hands I want to play music again. To make a long story short the piece involves a solo with the second high G above the staff. The notes are pretty much lead up to that high G which I can barley sustain for more than a second. It pretty much goes Bflat C D Eflat F the G back to E Sustain then F and again G Eflat D Bflat. I have the music. In addition whenever I hear the recording I'm having a hard time matching the style of the player in the group, I'm just not sure what he is doing to make those high notes sound the way they do.

Also Keep in mind that this is a Mexican Norteña Band called Banda MS and the song is called "No me Pidas Perdon"

Here is the album recording of the song posted to youtube. With the Solo starting at 2:14 - 2:18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyjqdM5Nzns

In addition here is another one where the soloist plays but in a live performance though he sounds a little out of tune. Solo also at 2:14 - 2:18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szG3dFignW4

If you guys have any advice to achieve a good sound in that range I'm all ears I realize they some of you have much more experience than I do and unfortunately I don't know anyone personally who plays clarinet. As far as me playing the solo I can achieve a tuned note on everything up until the F where is gets so so, and am having a terribly hard time with the G.

No, like I said I've only recently been coming back to practicing after a substantial hiatus. Pretty much since 2007, is the last time i seriously picked up the clarinet.

A technique I use is to hear the pitch of the note in my mind, blow that pitch on a fast cold air stream like an "air whistle", and then play that note as a long tone. A good way to approach high G is go up a scale beginning on C. Once you get to G hold it as long as you can. When that works consistently, then play the arpeggio, G B D G and hold the high G when it sounds.

Your equipment, the mouthpiece and reed become even more critical in the altissimo register. Make sure you have a reed that is not too soft and a good quality mouthpiece. There are some clarinetists on the forum who can give you good advice about equipment that works for them.

A technique I use is to hear the pitch of the note in my mind, blow that pitch on a fast cold air stream like an "air whistle", and then play that note as a long tone. A good way to approach high G is go up a scale beginning on C. Once you get to G hold it as long as you can. When that works consistently, then play the arpeggio, G B D G and hold the high G when it sounds.

Your equipment, the mouthpiece and reed become even more critical in the altissimo register. Make sure you have a reed that is not too soft and a good quality mouthpiece. There are some clarinetists on the forum who can give you good advice about equipment that works for them.

Thank You very much for the advice, right now I have my old clarinet which I believe is a Buffet E11, the mouthpiece is just the standard one that came with the horn. Previously I had by mistake purchased a box of Vandoren 4 reeds, than my usual 3.5. I have one 4 broken in and though it makes my midrange sound not as clear as the 3.5 I can at least hit the high F and get it somewhat tuned. I will try your technique jbtsax and play the arpeggio and going up from the C. Thanks very much for the reply guys it really does help.

Back
Top Bottom