New ligature advice

I’m going to buy new ligature for my b-flat clarinet but Im not sure what to get.
If anyone has any ideas/suggestions of any ligatures that aren’t too expensive that would be great.
:)

I am currently using the BG super revelation.
That's the one I use ... not "Rovner Revelation" I mentioned above.
But I use an older BG Revelation with brass plate which is my preferred ligature. I use many but I prefer the BG.

While not quite as personal as a mouthpiece, ligatures also vary by the player. I have a BG Super Revelation and have never gotten along with it in the slightest. For my setup it is about the worst thing I have tried. For about the last 20+ years I have been using the BG Tradition with great satisfaction. I have traditional dark and light Rovners which can be pretty good as well as traditional ligatures that come with mouthpieces that are also pretty fair.

I'd recommend borrowing anything you can get your hands on and trying them on your rig. Ignore the price tag, some of those dirt cheap ones are fabulous. It comes down to what works for you.

BG Revelation can be a good idea as others already mentioned. Also Vandoren LC51PP worth a look under 50$.
Under 100$ you can find for example Vandoren LC21P, Vandoren LC31P or Vandoren LC01P Optimum.
I have just wrote an article about different ligatures types, and how different materials can change the timbre. If you are interested, you can check the article here, hope it helps.

Peter

As someone who paid less than $50 for my entire clarinet, I’d have a hard time paying more than that for a ligature. The $5-$10 ones on Amazon work just fine for me in the 3 semi-professional big bands I regularly play in.

As long as a ligature holds the reed tightly against the mouthpiece, it’s doing its job. No need for any gimmicks or expensive materials. But if you like bling and don’t mind paying for it, by all means get a fancy one. Just don’t expect to sound any better.

Hmm... I had a plastic ligature like the Luyben once. The threads stripped in a couple of weeks. Terrible design. Would never get another. Metal screws need metal threads.

:) I'm inclined to agree with you, though not having seen either (ligature).

:) I'm inclined to agree with you, though not having seen either (ligature).
One the positive side, I was able to fix my plastic ligature, which I happen to like very much, by adding a metal nut on the other side of the stripped plastic threads. But the screws on this one don’t look long enough.

I personally wouldn’t take a chance on this kind of design just based on my experience. But I t may very well work fine. There could even be metal nuts imbedded in the plastic which solves the problem.

i have a kind of fresh solution. I tried the groovy looking Rovner Platinum Alto (as in Alto Sax) mouthpiece on my clarinet and it works a merveille! Then, at least, I don't think the ligature was being made for clarinet--but who cares. The only concern might be that the steel strapping might mar the clarinet mouthpiece more than a soft Rovner, but that's true of alto and tenor, too. So don't fret. Try it. You'll like it! And I'm thinking that one could also glue a piece of fine leather under the horizontal straps, which might make the fit even better. But for now, i suggest you cold-turkey it. As is. Good luck, my friend.

I've used Luyben ligatures for many years now. When I first discovered them I decided that my search for the ideal ligature was over and I bought a dozen. I've been using them ever since and I still have a dozen. Never had the slightest problem with them, and I've worked them hard.

LOL.
I just saw this post and looked through my supplies and found a Luyben I purchased at some point in the early 80's.
It cost me $5 back then.
I even have the original carrying case.
I'll give it a try.

Attachments

• Luyben .jpg
    Luyben .jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom