New Site -- Please let me know what you think

Roger Aldridge

Composer in Residence
Distinguished Member
I started using Fiddle Hangout as another site to have recordings of my originals. It was suggested to me by a violinist friend. Please check it out and let me know what you think of it as a way to easily hear and learn about my tunes.

A link is in my Signature below.

Thanks, Roger

Needs more cowbell :p.

I assume, then, that you don't have to post something fiddle-related. However, I did notice that there are other "hangouts" for other instruments. Is there a sax one? While you have a whole bunch of stuff posted and free space/bandwidth is always good, I wouldn't think to look on a fiddle 'site for sax music. I also wouldn't want my stuff to go *poof* because an admin says that my postings aren't fiddle related.

Pete, Thanks for your questions. These hangout sites appear to be mostly for string instruments. It's my impression that many of the musicians on the fiddle hangout site are old-time and bluegrass players. That said, one will find some jazz and contemporary things. A few weeks ago a fiddle player in the UK posted a totally cool original that has a distinct Zappa quality.

As you hear more of my tunes you'll find that most of the recordings use violin with the ensemble.....sometimes with saxophone and sometimes as lead. In that respect, there is a connection between my tunes and that site. A musician friend who plays superb modern jazz on banjo was the one who suggested to me that I add Fiddle Hangout to my other pages.

I forgot to mention that the playlist feature of the site enables one to organize their recordings by style. Thus, if someone wants to hear my jazz or samba or tango tunes they can go right to the playlist that's of interest to them. Whereas, the music page has all of the recordings listed. I like having the two options.

Thanks so much Steve!

As you might have read in some of my describtions of the music that I have on my facebook pages, all of these recordings were done with the intention of them being tune demos rather than full-length performances. Since I don't have a performing band, these recordings have been the main way that I've had to get my tunes out there and be heard.

Nevertheless, the playing on the recordings is really good. Jason Shapiro plays some fine saxophone solos as does Shawn Qaissaunee on guitar and Jeff Knoettner on piano. I hear moments of real brilliance in their work. Truly, they are bringing the music to life. While Amy (violinist) does not improvise, she nails each tune regardless of its style that I send to them. She's a remarkable musician. I count myself lucky to have them on the recordings.

Plans are in-gear for the next batch of recordings. Hopefully I'll add them to my online pages next month. They will include a new tango and several tunes listed on my American Music Center page that have not been recorded yet.

After that, the next thing on my radar is to see how I might be able to have recordings made of some of my ensemble scores. But, one step at a time! ha ha

MANY THANKS everyone for checking out the site. The number of plays for A Samba Named Nancy has JUMPED!

If you haven't heard Blues for Lester and Baltimore Rowhouse please take a few minutes and give them a listen. These two pieces have received the greatest number of rave reviews from music friends on facebook. Both are extended contemporary jazz pieces.

MANY THANKS everyone for checking out the site. The number of plays for A Samba Named Nancy has JUMPED!
You're welcome. That's also the one I listened to.

You also mentioned the player and the playlist feature. I like that, too. It's got a Pandora-like feel -- and I listen to Pandora a lot at work (on Saturdays; some of the things I listen to tend to freak out my cow-orkers).

More stuff to check out!

The site did throw a VB error, but that's due to running adblock on my part. The audio player opening on a standalone window is just a tad bit retro now, but it's just fine really.

(They didn't force you to fiddle!)

Thanks Franklin! You're going to love this.... When I first became a member of the Fiddle Hangout site I used the picture with me and my alto. As you might guess, I received several really funny emails from fiddle players. Not one to pass up an oppurtunity to kid around, I joked about trying to bow the saxophone but couldn't get much of a sound. :) While the folks on that site tend to be good-natured and friendly, I decided to switch pictures to one without the saxophone.

In all honesty, there's no way that they'd want me to play fiddle. I still have painful memories of taking string class over 40 years ago in music school. I was terrible with the violin. As I recall, the other horn players in the class were equally bad. I'd leave class with a serious headache.

It appears that it's perfectly fine with the Fiddle Hangout people that I write for the violin, have an appreciation for it, and not attempt to play it again. ha ha

Roger

Woodwind Forum Buddies, I really appreciate how you have checked out this site and heard my tunes. A Samba Named Nancy is getting close to having over 100 plays.

Thanks so much!

Roger

Back
Top Bottom