Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

New to Clarinet

Hi, Im new to learning the clarinet. I have no music history. I had my first professional lesson yesterday but teacher has gone on holidays for 4 weeks and Im hanging out with 2 questions after my first private practice today.

I have a Artley Bb, #2 reed. My notes to learn are C, D, E, F & G.

When Im doing that scale does my breath on the reed remain constant for each note or as the pitch rises do I blow harder/softer?
Doing the same scale, do I move my bottom jaw back/forward on the reed for each note?

Thanks for thoughts.

Try to keep a steady air stream for each note. You can either play the notes continuously (slurring) or pause between each and use your tongue to articulate the note (think of saying ta or tut). Keep your jaw and overall embouchure steady as well. Later on, you may learn some things that require adjusting the embouchure, but for now focus on finding a "sweet spot" that works and try to lock in on it.

Try to keep a steady air stream for each note. You can either play the notes continuously (slurring) or pause between each and use your tongue to articulate the note (think of saying ta or tut). Keep your jaw and overall embouchure steady as well. Later on, you may learn some things that require adjusting the embouchure, but for now focus on finding a "sweet spot" that works and try to lock in on it.
I'm bolding that for emphasis :)
Also, what mouthpiece are you using?

Yes, constant breath, no movement, good embouchure.

Back
Top Bottom