"New To You" music

How do you find new artists/albums to listen to? Blindly picking up cds as stores or flea markets, friend recommendations, itunes, downloads, internet? They don't have to be new artists (I.e.-they can be from 1920), but the music would be new to your ears.

Because our music isn't pop, I find it difficult to find new music to listen to. I have an internet Radio App (Radio IO) that is really good, but maybe there's a better way.

I tend to listen to Pandora and when a band starts playing that I like, I switch to YouTube and see if I can find more tracks there. Pandora has very, very large library and their "music DNA" (i.e. they're supposed to play music in similar style as the stuff you like) is relatively good.

I've also used our "What are You Listening to Today?" thread. Gandalfe introduced me to the Quintessence Sax Quartet through there, for instance.

Surf youtube. You never know what you'll find there.

Surf youtube. You never know what you'll find there.

Mmhmm. That's a gold mine. Mostly through people I know and meet have I found new stuff to listen to, but youtube has an endless selection of really cool music if you search hard enough.

How do you find new artists/albums to listen to?
Rarely buy CDs anymore. Mainly go to a lot of concerts, especially of more "unusual" and less mainstream music. Then look for videos of whoever played in those concerts, then videos of whoever those poeple play with. Also play in a lot of concerts with people (sometimes together, sometimes just in the same concerts but different sets) who I've rarely played with. Then look what else they do, who else they played with, etc. Also just usual talking with a lot of other musicians, occasionally some people mention good musicians they heard, so I look them up too. Videos posted on Facebook are also a good source sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom