New website for hearing Roger's music

Roger Aldridge

Composer in Residence
Distinguished Member
Thanks Retread!

Everyone.....

If you like what you hear, please join my reverbnation fan list....or, if you're on facebook join the fan list on the My Band tab on my facebook profile. THANKS!!!

NEW TUNE...

Connecticut Avenue SUVs has been added to my reverbnation playlist and the My Band tab on Facebook.

The piece has improvisation & performance concepts that are not evident in the demo recording. Please download a copy of the music (leadsheet version) from my AMC page -- use the website link -- and have it along with the recording.

Playing the piece with more FUNK and EDGE is encouraged!

SIX NEW RECORDINGS have been added to my reverbnation playlist. Please give them a listen.

Warning: These tunes will come as a surprise to those who are mostly familiar with my jazz writing. I like to explore early jazz roots -- I consider old fiddle styles (especially, Appalachian) to be an early branch of the jazz family tree -- as much as pushing in new jazz directions.

Appalachian Awakening -- an extended piece that starts as a bossa nova, transforms into a set of reels, and concludes with an open improvisation space for violin.

Deer Creek Fiddlers, The 48th Raccoon, The Green-Roofed Barn -- Two hornpipes and a strathspey. The strathspey has measures of 3/4 to mess with dancers. :)

Smith Island Boat Song -- a really beautiful tune (if I can say so myself) in a Scottish fiddle style. It has both traditional and contemporary harmony.

Salt Marsh Rag (trio version) -- early jazz influences and touches of humor.

The musicians are Amy Leonard, violin; E. Shawn Qaissaunee, guitar; Peter McCarthy, bass.

Forum Friends,

I finally got to hear the big band arrangement I wrote for my original tune Sleepy Creek Samba. Our local big band has been exceptionally busy, so this past Monday was the first chance they had for me to come in and work on the chart with them.

It sounds really good! I consider this chart to be fairly conventional; however, some interesting things are worked in. The sax section has a doubling configuration of flute (featured soloist), 3 clarinets, and bari sax. It has a wonderfully fresh sound.

Please let me know if you'd like to receive this chart for your band. No charge!

If the doubles are a problem, I'll be happy to work with you to figure out options so the chart can be playable by your band.

A small group recording of Sleepy Creek Samba can be heard at: http://www.reverbnation.com/#/rogeraldridge .

Roger

Back
Top Bottom