New Year's Musical Resolutions

1. Start making bassoon reeds. As it happens, my profiling machine should be arriving tomorrow, so it's not an idle threat.

2. Play a show on oboe/EH. Carryover from last year.

3. Write more original big band charts.

4. Get good enough at guitar to book trio gigs with a horn player.

5. Finish my screenplay.

improve on my clarinet,techniques, for soprano,alto and bass.
quality of tone,and likewise for flute!.

Work on more sax" patterns/riffs/scales, that i can use in improvisation.

Get more gigs!!

Carry on learning,and looking for new ways to improve my woodwind playing..and above all enjoying what i doo!!

Last edited:
New Year's Resolution

My goal is to improve as much as possible and practice as much as I can, in the hope that by summer I may be able to attempt playing by ear

One main goal... Play my a$$ off :emoji_smile:

And, have fun doing it. Happy new year all :emoji_relaxed:

A wise goal IMO. Thanks for starting this thread Gandalfe. It made me think about setting music goals for this year. In general, I want to be both a better improviser and reader. Now I need to set primarily quantitative or otherwise objective and specific goals for myself. These may remain private, but they will deal with things like scale speeds, playing certain things in every key, and so on.

My musical plans for this year are similar to the ones I had last year.

1. Finish through all the lessons in the second book. I finish the first book two weeks ago.

2. Start on intermediate/advanced lessons. I've started with this by practicing technique.

3. Start building a repertoire. I've started by learning Brahms Lullaby as my first song on my list.

in this order:

1) Graduate from my Degree WITH Honors!

2) Be hired to play in a showband on a cruise ship.

2a) Use the ample time off (depending on the ship), to PRACTICE!!!!!!!! And to write lots and lots.

My musical plans for this year are similar to the ones I had last year.

1. Finish through all the lessons in the second book. I finish the first book two weeks ago.

2. Start on intermediate/advanced lessons. I've started with this by practicing technique.

3. Start building a repertoire. I've started by learning Brahms Lullaby as my first song on my list.
Any public performances planned?

Any public performances planned?
I need more experience playing with others before I do that. Every so often a few of my coworkers get together to play. We have a piano player, two guitar players, and myself.

The last time we tried to play together it turned out pretty bad (at least my part was). I tend to get lost when we play (Or if I don't start off from the beginning I can't figure out when to start) and I get little question marks floating around my head and a look as if asking "What am I supposed to do? Where are you?"

New Year's Musical Resolutions - 2012

See 2010's, here.
Hmm. I think I'll try for doing at least 6 articles for my blog. Maybe try to add a :TrebleClef::Space3: to my singing range. Hey, it's only a step higher than my highest ....

1. Finish (or start with) the "project" heap. A Leblanc straight EEb Contra-Alto, and a Selmer Signet 100.
2. Reduce the amount of cheating and downright wrong notes.
3. Sell some of my surplus instruments. They deserve to be played, not to be merely stored.
4. Optimise the intake of food and booze. ("Waist disposal" being the motto)
5. Be a better Husband, Lover, Father, Citizen, Whatever. (now thatta long-term project)

1. Book the MJJO at least nine times in 2012.
2. Keep the sax 4tet going.
3. Sell last four unused instruments.
4. Keep working on sight-reading.
5. Make progress in learning to play the clarinet. Play one solo in public this year.
6. Blog about music in at least 20 days of this year.
7. Do one theater gig this year.
8. Sub at least 8 times this year (for pay).

("Waist disposal" being the motto)
Two comments. One I think I've made before:

* It's rare to get English puns from non-native English speakers. Good on ya.
* I'd like to drop some poundage, too. I believe that cutting out some of my eating out will be helpful -- and I'm trying to hit Subway or Oriental restaurants when I do eat out. I'm also going to try to get up out of my desk a bit more. My goal is only about 3.3 lbs per month. Luckily, I don't drink alcohol. Cutting down on the cans of Coke. That's a big thing.

Oh. Of course, if y'all have unused instruments, please send them to me. I'll even pay shipping.

Oh. Of course, if y'all have unused instruments, please send them to me. I'll even pay shipping.
I've got a beast of an upright I'd be willing to part with...

I still distinctly remember having to carry home my Yamaha bari from high school. A little over 3 miles. That taught me to make sure to be on time for the bus.

Of course, I could say that it was uphill both ways, 5 feet of snow and -30 out. That'd be lying. We never had that much snow when I lived in Plattsburg, NY.

Back
Top Bottom