Oiling clarinet

Hello:

I am curious if the sockets of the clarinet are ever oiled.

I am looking at the socket at both ends of the barrel as example.

The top socket of the barrel where the mouthpiece fits in looks dry
and a bit lighter in color that the rest of the barrel.

Should the oil be confined only to the bore.

Thank you

I oil the sockets more often than the bore using Naylor's organic bore oil. I also dry the sockets with a cloth after every playing in addition to swabbing the bore with a silk swab.

The facing of the tenons and bore should be oiled very well and often. This location is the best position for water to swell the tenon or shrink the bore. Therefore oil is mandatory there more than for the bore itself.

For oiling a good mixture would be: 1 pc. almond oil, 1 pc. linseed oil, 2 pcs. citric terpen (citric oil). Citric oil works as penetrator (and smells very fresh;-), the linseed oil will be hardened like a paint cover and best protection against saliva.

kindly
Roman

PS: The sitric terpen could harm you, if you're allergic on citric oils. If it feels a little bit itchy everywhere, you better should use ruber gloves.

I bore oil my clarinets once every 6 months. Inside & out, and all exposed wood areas. I'm not fussy about hitting every little spot. Used to do this every month until someone said too much oil may be counter productive, maybe dulling the sound(?).

Back
Top Bottom