"Old" Barone

"To each his own" is always trump, of course.

I think the interesting issue beyond that is something like how much and what kind of value a US distributor can add to a horn manufactured in Asia.

In Business 101 terms, this question would be analyzed using the four different forms of "utility": time utility, place utility, ownership or possession utility, and form utility.

Ironically, it seems that some brands could lose out in the time and place utility derby precisely because they sell through retailers which, in many cases, can't or won't keep them in stock.

Also ironically, whereas brands like CB and PM have to work very hard to prove that their products confer real form utility--eg resonance stones--because they cost more, the CE Woodwinds type operation can just sit back and capitalize on that hard work. Check out CE Woodwinds' rhetoric: "by all means buy a Selmer or a PM," he says, "if you can afford one, but if you can't we're almost as good." As this thread seems to prove, the form utility argument is hard to win, once you make your customers aware of the conditions of production in Taiwan, which you need to do.

With respect to form, the big edge Barone has right now, IMHO, is the provision of a top notch mouthpiece. The neck thing, IMHO, is hype. Interestingly, Barone's erstwhile partner and current big competitor--Macsax--has struck a deal with Theo Wanne. It's not hard to see where this is coming from, but I'm not sure if folks who are looking for a $1400 sax are really going to be after a $700 mouthpiece?

That leaves possession utility and that's a marketing crapshoot: do you get more satisfaction from owning a more expensive PM horn, one with some high profile endorsers, or does "Baronership" float your boat. Perhaps most curiously, CE Woodwinds seems to use religious affiliation as a marketing tool.

Yadayadayada....

In my case, using the same analysis, the Martin wins hands down, except for some nagging doubts I have about the keywork. But that's another story...:)

Rory

ps: I'm not sure if this angle has been beaten to death, but one consideration that has been keeping my GAS at bay viz a Houli horn is the environmental footprint. My inner tree hugger keeps reminding me that buying a refurbished vintage horn doesn't harm the mother, whereas buying anything from Asia feeds the Leviathan.

ps: I'm not sure if this angle has been beaten to death, but one consideration that has been keeping my GAS at bay viz a Houli horn is the environmental footprint. My inner tree hugger keeps reminding me that buying a refurbished vintage horn doesn't harm the mother, whereas buying anything from Asia feeds the Leviathan.
What kind of car do you drive? Does it have a radio? What's under the hood of your computer? Where were your clothes stitched? Bought anything at Wal-Mart lately? It's everywhere. You can't escape it. At least some children in those countries are fed along with old Lev.

I suppose my view on replacement parts is formed by working in a repair shop and knowing how cost and time effective it is to go to the drawer and pull out the key guard to replace the one that has been trashed by the sax falling off the stage. I also know what a PITA it is to make a part from scratch and how trashy it looks to take the wrong part and cut, file, bend, or solder it to make it function.

To answer Helen's question. It is not just high school and junior high students or school saxes that we service that sometimes require parts. Sometimes at gigs and concerts someone (usually an overweight trombone player) knocks over, kicks, falls on, drops something on some very careful player's expensive saxophone. Accidents happen even to the most careful professional players. Repair techs like to have the resources available to restore any instrument to its original condition no matter what brand it is. That is what we do.

On my 1950 super balanced Selmer alto that was this year's Miss September in the saxpics calendar there were two keyguards that were so badly scratched up that I couldn't restore them to look as good as I wanted. No problem. I ordered the identical keyguards from the Selmer Company and had them silver plated locally. A full 60 years after the sax was first made, Selmer still has that keyguard available. That is what product support is supposed to be.

Al said:
I looked for the part where you disagreed. I couldn't find it.
I was more trying to say something like, "If you have a $15,000 sax, you maintain it and treat it like a $15,000 sax and don't care about the depreciation because it was a $15,000 sax" Something like that, but I'll agree to agree with you, too!

@ Helen & Steve, speaking of, I'm still looking to get that G/G# bridge for my wife's Omega alto ....

@ rleitch, I think Cannonball's biggest problem is that they don't list their prices online. From what I've seen, they're nice looking saxophones (and I'm pretty sure that the stones just look pretty). From what I've heard, people like CB's horns. From what I've researched, CB horns are inexpensive and cheaper than PM horns. Why not list a price? Hey, I've got enough horns that I KNOW the prices of to choose from, rather than havening to deal with the unknown.

I think the statement that some folks make, i.e., "All saxes from $country are junk!" is stupid. Your Yamaha 23 is now made in Indonesia and they're not junk horns. A lot of horns seem to be getting keywork from Vietnam. Hey, Buffet thinks that that Chinese concern they use is good enough to put their name on 'em. And a lot of people are saying how Taiwanese/Chinese horns are improving in quality.

I've always believed in the triumph of function over form: if it plays good, who cares where it's from? However I do know people that won't buy stuff from $country because of moral (as you point out) or other ("I ain't buyin' no Asian POS! We beat them in the War!") reasons.

(Even if, as Al points out, it's difficult to buy something that has 100% content from the US, UK, or wherever. Hey, I keep hearing that radio ad about, "Buy an American-made Ford!" They're mostly made in Canada. At least my Taurus has 80% Canadian manufacture, according to the sticker.)

I do remember the big flap on SOTW when Goodson brought out his post-Unison horns and the question about their country of origin. I think it had a point, as detailed above, but it was waaaay overblown.

As far as Barone is concerned, it would probably be quite compelling for some folks if there was a Barone horn with a Barone-designed neck and a Barone/Wanne-designed mouthpiece, even if it was a "step down mouthpiece". Hey, Goodson charges a good deal for his high-end tenors. Maybe that's the idea here. Might also be that there will be a step-down version of the neck and mouthpiece mated with an inexpensive Barone-labeled sax. That might also be compelling. Just not for me: I really don't think I'd like a Barone mouthpiece (I play a Rascher, y'know) and as long as the neck matches the sax, I'm happy. Again, I'd probably look for another YAS-61 on eBay than get any of these horns.

CE Woodwinds seems to use religious affiliation as a marketing tool.
I didn't notice that. What are you referring to? I'm curious.

also, Cannonball used to have religious icons on their website .. seems to be gone now. I've been a fan of CB for years back when the BigBells first came out - I really want to try a Vintage one of these days.

I don't recall any on CE Woodwinds but then i've only visited a few times and recently at that.

A full 60 years after the sax was first made, Selmer still has that keyguard available. That is what product support is supposed to be.

I'm a bit confused. Maybe I don't remember things quite clearly, but I was sure that a number of years ago Selmer had cleared out its Mark VI parts. My tech had asked if I wanted to order anything, since it was going to get hard to find new-old-stock. After assessing my horns for wear and tear, there was only one thing I could have used, (didn't need it yet, but would down the road) but unfortunately that was the part that was already no longer available. Luckily that part is still holding... Apparently I'm gentle on my horns.

Can one get parts still for Mark VIs? Or just for the older models like your SBA?

It is not hard to get parts for Barone's, Maxtones, etc., it is impossible. The best someone could do with these saxes is to maybe order a Jupiter part and try to make it fit.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it is possible e.g. to get parts for Barone saxophones from Barone, and same for the others. It is pretty easy for someone with a Barone saxophone to Google this name, find contact details, and ask for parts.

I know that in Nitai's experience that replacement parts are not a major concern, but in the shop I work in they are very important. Sure we can fabricate just about anything, but it will cost 5 to 10 times more and will not match the factory part---especially in the exotic finishes.
It depends. If you constantly see the same few models that need the same parts then ok, it makes sense. Is this the situation for you?

I will try explain the way I see it.

Let's take key guards as an example. I see instruments from many different companies and models. There are altos, tenor, soprano and bartione. Some companies have the same parts for different models, but some don't. Finish... usually at least two for most models, could be a lot more. Maybe I could get some from the same source, but probably need to order most seperately (i.e. shipping each time). Then have the space to store them. etc. etc.

Guesstimating:
4 guards
3 sax sizes (exclud sop here)
15 brands (low estimate)
2 models
2 finishes (low estiamte as you give that as a reason for stocking)

Total 720 guards. I looked in the Allied catalogue for a few key guards for average prices from the more known companies. Approx $4.00 to $15.00. That's before shipping and tax, and only one of each. How many of each would you say you should have? I do see some models more than others, but these are mostly pro Selmers (old and new, mostly new) and the owners are especially careful.

Basically it will cost me thousands to have anything close to an extensive stock, and that's just key guards. If I just now invested these thousands in repair tools or supplies, I could come up with hundreds of things that would come first.

Number of key guards I replaced in the last few years: 0.
Number of key guards I would replace during that time if not for limitations (e.g. customer budget, etc.): 2. One of those from a model that is extremely rare here.
The only way to make up for this expensvie dead stock is either charging absurd prices for these parts, but people will not pay them. Or charging much ghier prices for other repairs, so I can afford this stock, which some (maybe most) people wouldn't pay plus is unfair for them to pay for my huge unhelpful stock :)

Last edited:
I've been watching this thread unfold with interest for days. It seems everyone here has very deeply held beliefs on this almost prickly issue.
I can't speak for anyone else but just to clarify, my posts are not beliefs. They are all based on playing and examining many Taiwanese saxophones, and also buying saxophones from Mauriat and other Taiwanese saxophones directly from the factory, then playing and checking them. If I only had beliefs I wouldn't post about this subject. Of course this is in reality and not semantics... where you can say it is just my belief that I'm even holding a saxophone... :)

My point earlier is just that, for me, there would be little difference between ordering one from a so-called "jobber" like Barone (he's been in the sax gear business for 25 years, BTW) and ordering one from an "established" company...just twice the price.
Sure, this is possible. Someone else could say the same about Yamaha YAS-62 and Yanagisawa A-9933, for example. For many people there is little difference. But people don't usually make this comparison. The only reason people compare the Taiwanese saxophones in this way is because of the rumors that they are the same.

The only reason people compare the Taiwanese saxophones in this way is because of the rumors that they are the same.

Man, I feel almost foolish arguing with you, since you know way way more about this stuff than I do, but I have to say this is completely wrong IMO.

My own interest in buying a Taiwanese sax has nothing to do with a belief, false or otherwise, that a Barone or CE Winds sax is identical to a PM. What it is based on, as I mentioned above, is on my having watched all of these saxes get consistently glowing reviews from knowledgeable players like Al for the last two years.

Moreover, since there is simply no chance that I would ever be able to do careful side by side comparison, the issue of whether the horns are identical is completely moot.

So: in my case, false comparisons with PMs are pretty much totally irrelevent!!!

That said, the only valid comparison between a Barone and a PM, again IMHO, is this: both are top quality Taiwanese horns and both would be more than good enough for a weekend warrior like me (and sadly, I'd still sound like me on both). However, the PM will cost me twice as much $ to buy and, more, would take about 6 months to get, compared to 6 weeks.

Peace,
Rory

ps. CE Woodwinds is emphatically a Christian company, starting with product names drawn expressly from the Book of Revelations! Many of the company's strong supporters online self-identify as Christian players, as do a number of their brand name endorsers. I have no point to make about this other than to note that it is an interesting way of adding ownership utility for some buyers, one which seems, to me, entirely honest and forthright.

viz

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showpost.php?p=1113209&postcount=4

I can't speak for anyone else but just to clarify, my posts are not beliefs. They are all based on playing and examining many Taiwanese saxophones, and also buying saxophones from Mauriat and other Taiwanese saxophones directly from the factory, then playing and checking them. If I only had beliefs I wouldn't post about this subject. Of course this is in reality and not semantics...

Point taken. I should not have used the word "beliefs". The word I should have used, and certainly the meaning I was going for, was "views".

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused. Maybe I don't remember things quite clearly, but I was sure that a number of years ago Selmer had cleared out its Mark VI parts. My tech had asked if I wanted to order anything, since it was going to get hard to find new-old-stock. After assessing my horns for wear and tear, there was only one thing I could have used, (didn't need it yet, but would down the road) but unfortunately that was the part that was already no longer available. Luckily that part is still holding... Apparently I'm gentle on my horns.

Can one get parts still for Mark VIs? Or just for the older models like your SBA?

Some instrument repair supply companies like Allied Supply have some parts for some of the older Selmers. Not all parts are available but some commonly replaced parts still can be ordered. The other source is used parts from unsalvageable instruments. Of course, you pay a premium to the techs who have those for sale.

Getting parts from Conn/Selmer in a timely fashion and at a reasonable price has been a challenge for a long time in the repair industry. Yamaha has really set the standard in this area. It is unfortunate more companies don't have the same business model in terms of support.

Some instrument repair supply companies like Allied Supply have some parts for some of the older Selmers. Not all parts are available but some commonly replaced parts still can be ordered. The other source is used parts from unsalvageable instruments. Of course, you pay a premium to the techs who have those for sale.

Getting parts from Conn/Selmer in a timely fashion and at a reasonable price has been a challenge for a long time in the repair industry. Yamaha has really set the standard in this area. It is unfortunate more companies don't have the same business model in terms of support.
Allied will not do business with individual customers. And, yes, Conn-Selmer, which unfortunately no also includes Yanagisawa if I am not mistaken, is awful in this regard.

Back to my old Barone.

After a period of inactivity due to a problem with equilibrium (couldn't stand up without a cane) and endurance (just couldn't play for very long), I returned yesterday to the Barone sax/Barone mpc combination that started this thread.

Other than for sounding like the Aflac duck for a while (chops issue) I am, once the duck flew the coop, still pleased with that sound. See post #1.

Now I have a quandry. A close friend needs a tenor. His Serie II got bell-bent somehow such that the notes from D1 down won't sound. It would be funny if it weren't funny. He said in essence, "I don't know how it happened. I keep it in the back of my van in a soft case along with all the other saxes, the bandstands, lights, sound system, chart cases, and ten fake books."

I have five tenors and he wants to buy one for a backup in case the van gremlins get him again.

But he doesn't want to spend a lot of money.

All but the Barone would cost him a lot of money. Not that they play all that much better than the Barone, but because they are two Mark VIs, a Ref 54, and a King hiyo Silversonic.

What to do? I don't need five tenors.

Bye, Bye Barone... Heh, but that's me. I'm a vintage horn fanatic, and don't play anything but. For the record, I too have 5 tenors. You never know when you might need one with a particular sound. (At least that's what I say when anyone asks.)

Seriously though, they each have their own distinctive voice when played with the same m/p and reed. Even non sax players can hear the difference when they listen to them side by side. (King Zeph, Mark VI, Martin Handcraft, 10M, Hammerschmidt Klingsor, Dörfler & a Jörka stencilled De Villers.)

Craig's List has lots of horns. Get him to look there!

What caused your equilibrium problems Al? Are you OK again? Were you able to ditch the cane?

What caused your equilibrium problems Al? Are you OK again? Were you able to ditch the cane?
Two small strokes. One at Christmas time and the other about two weeks ago. The walk is mostly what was affected. I walk funny mostly in the morning. And I'm wired for sound. Some kind of bionic monitor. Also some memory problems.

The first stroke impaired my piano right hand for a few days. The guys said, "At last, Stevens isn't playing so damn busy."

The second one happened when I was visiting family in New Mexico. Great thing about a cane. It gets you on the airplane first.

Back to my old Barone.

After a period of inactivity due to a problem with equilibrium (couldn't stand up without a cane) and endurance (just couldn't play for very long), I returned yesterday to the Barone sax/Barone mpc combination that started this thread.

Other than for sounding like the Aflac duck for a while (chops issue) I am, once the duck flew the coop, still pleased with that sound. See post #1.

Now I have a quandry. A close friend needs a tenor. His Serie II got bell-bent somehow such that the notes from D1 down won't sound. It would be funny if it weren't funny. He said in essence, "I don't know how it happened. I keep it in the back of my van in a soft case along with all the other saxes, the bandstands, lights, sound system, chart cases, and ten fake books."

I have five tenors and he wants to buy one for a backup in case the van gremlins get him again.

But he doesn't want to spend a lot of money.

All but the Barone would cost him a lot of money. Not that they play all that much better than the Barone, but because they are two Mark VIs, a Ref 54, and a King hiyo Silversonic.

What to do? I don't need five tenors.
I've been divesting myself of horns I don't use, even as doubles for a couple years now. Usually a friend gets them and at a great price. And I see them over and over again in most cases.

Give your friend crazy uncle Phil's contact info and stand back.

Two small strokes. One at Christmas time and the other about two weeks ago. The walk is mostly what was affected. I walk funny mostly in the morning. And I'm wired for sound. Some kind of bionic monitor. Also some memory problems.

The first stroke impaired my piano right hand for a few days. The guys said, "At last, Stevens isn't playing so damn busy."

The second one happened when I was visiting family in New Mexico. Great thing about a cane. It gets you on the airplane first.

Sorry to hear about that Al. Please take it easy!

Back
Top Bottom