Pain

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
It's all in my head, at least. Well, that's the reason I'm not playing or singing, anymore.

I was listening to a podcast from National Public Radio's Radiolab. The topic was pain, in general. However, the part that I found interesting was a discussion about trying to come up with a pain scale. Think about that for a minute. You can rate pain on a scale of 1 to 10, but your 10 isn't necessarily my 10 and vice-versa. You could use an analogy, like, "That hurts as much as a wasp sting!" That won't compute for those of us who have never been stung by a wasp.

The podcast mentions a better pain scale, but I want to tweak it:

"You have 11 years left to live and you will have your current pain for that entire time. Rate how badly you want to get rid of the pain. Is the pain so bad you'd give up 10 of your remaining years to get rid of it?" In other words, your scale is still 1 to 10. However, instead of abstract numbers, it's a lot more concrete.

I suffer from occipital neuralgia and cluster headaches. Before I got a proper diagnosis and (usually) working treatment, I would immediately have told you "10." There's a reason why cluster headaches are also called "suicide headaches."

Just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom