Pomarico Hard Rubber Mouthpieces..?

Nikolas: They are fine for some, bad for others. And I write this without ever playing the mouthpiece you queried.

Welcome to the WWF. Mouthpieces are very personal - what plays well for me is not everyone's choice. In fact, I'm betting many players wouldn't like my set-ups on clarinet and saxophones. The only times I had agreements with other players is when they liked the same mouthpiece I was using - and for the same reasons. THEN, we were able to compare our experiences with other mouthpieces and arrive at a GENERAL opinion.

Many of the pieces that have been "recommended" over the years on this forum and other forums, have proven almost worthless when I tried them. The reason is that everyone is built differently, they have different tonal concepts and goals, they use different reeds (strengths, cuts, and brands - although many are made by the same corporation), and have a variety of horns upon which to play the mouthpieces.

Sorry, but I doubt that anyone who has played the mouthpiece you queried could give you an answer that is pertinent to you . . . only to the ones who've played it. The fact is - you must try it for yourself.

Why don't you find one and play it, then report back to us how you liked it? DAVE

Welcome Nikolas.

After six years of getting back up to speed, after a 28 year hiatus, I have picked up a lot of instruments besides my high school fav, the alto sax. Every instrument has meant I spent time trying mouthpieces until I found one I liked. Then there was the search again as my embouchure for that particular instrument progressed. And then finally, I look for the ones that are usually on the stage with me, they are the mouthpieces I finally end up with based on listening to recordings.

In the past I have called a local music store or big eBay seller and arranged to try many mouthpeices. But you really need to spend some time with a mouthpiece to determine if it's right for you. Fortunately there is no *one* mouthpiece that does everything you want to do, so this is really a labor of luv for me.

So on clarinet I luv my Ralph Morgan and Walter Grabner pieces. In the case of bass and alto clarinet, especially when I was first playing, it's the only way I could get the clarion and altissimo ranges to speak. These might be terrible or great choices for you, which is why you will want to try them out.

Has anybody ever tried one of these clarinet mouthpieces .....? How are they...?

They seem well made. Perfectly acceptable tone. It all depends if it speaks to you or not. Good equipment gets out of the way of the sound in your head.

Thanks guys... this is a challenge for me,,,, the reason is I play Greek Folk Music on an Albert system with a # 1 reed. This is why it is a bit of "energy" to find the right one that will suit me. Our style of playing consists of a lot of bending and hitting those 1/4 notes.

I have used so many over the years that have been modified by people from back home in Greece and after a while they need to be resurfaced again a little bit and I am always looking for a good back up

Regards......

Last edited:
Any links to you playing? I would love to hear this music as it's not something I familiar with.

Nikolas: Very interesting - that sure takes you out of the beginner category, I suspect. I own three Albert clarinets (one in C) but prefer Boehm. Contrary to what I hear sometimes (that Alberts require a different mouthpiece) I haven't found that to be true. I play all of my clarinets with the same mouthpiece.

The #1 reed tells me that you have a really open mouthpiece. Maybe you should focus on mouthpieces with a smaller opening than the one you are using now and increase the reed strength. I'd suggest finding a store with a good selection of pieces and start the process. I too would like to hear what you play.

I like old jazz (original 1920's stuff) but have enjoyed Klezmer when I've heard it. I'll bet the Greek music you play is difficult and fun. DAVE

Did Pomarico use to make hard rubber mouthpieces and stopped? I can't find anything but crystal and wood Pomarico mouthpieces. Not on their catalogue, website, and they had none at their booth in Musikmesse either.

Back
Top Bottom