Post-Concert Depression?

tictactux

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Dear Abby,

so we had our concert last Saturday, we had full house and delivered a good show, according to some members of the audience.

And now...this emptiness, all the built-up tension is gone, the adrenaline has receded, and the lousy weather doesn't help either.

I know there are other Post-Co-sumthin depressions, but just because of a gig? Gimme a break. Should I see a shrink?

Zonked in Zurich,

Ben

I used to have a post-concert ritual: I'd go out for donuts.

When I switched to playing baritone sax in high school, I was in so many concerts, I thought this "ritual" was no longer advisable. However, I was told by a doctor to g'head and keep doing it: I'm 6'2" and was 140lbs at that time and nothing changed that weight.

Until I hit 30.

When I went away to college (SUNYC Fredonia), I'd get a brownie and a Minute Maid Orange soda after each concert from the vending machine outside the library. I estimate that that was the food source that kept me going in college. Especially considering I got an average of 1.3 minutes of sleep a night in the dorms.

Getting back on topic, a "post trauma" depression is quite common, but if it lasts for too long, get help. Seriously.

If you want an opinion for the feeling, it's, "All my friends are here with me and we're playing together. I hope I can see them all together, soon!"

Getting back on topic, a "post trauma" depression is quite common, but if it lasts for too long, get help. Seriously.

It's not that bad. ;-)
Usually, a stiff practice session helps me to overcome withdrawal symptoms.

Two ways to deal with it:

1) Do what gandalfe does and play in 72 groups. This way you always have a concert.

2) Learn to enjoy the time off and pick some specific things to work on before you have to ramp up for the next show.

If neither of those work then seek out a therapist or at least a teacher who can push your playing.

I forgot to say that even after a practice I can't calm down for a couple of hours--those become my late nights. Even though I get up around 6 AM every morning, if I've performed/practiced to 9:30 the night before, I'll be up till almost midnight. It's just the nature of the beast me thinks.

I should mention that the phenomenon is known as stress relief depression and usually hits you while on vacation.
I wasn't all that serious as I know how to cope with it (else I wouldn't have written to Abby, probably). But it's good to know I'm not alone.

And hey, it's the first time I didn't try to compensate it with GAS! (Although I think a lil' reward is on order...hmmm)

<off to That Auction Site>

:emoji_relaxed:

I'm familiar with that feeling, especially after a BigBand gig. Relaxing with your friends after the show, have a beer and some small talk usually helps. Also a difficult uptempo score waiting for you at home wakes you up.
BTW, the interaction between this thread and the Google ad on top of the page is another story :)

Back
Top Bottom