Powell Silver Eagle ~ new All American Sax

Back to the topic. I don't know how many more inovations would be practical for the saxophone.
Also back on topic :D, You generally can't see an innovation until after it's been invented. I can see places where the sax could be improved, such as with some of those extra-long rods, especially on baritones and basses. It's also be nice if a workable pad alternative could be found (which reminds me to post some Toptone pics I've been hanging on to).

One of the main reasons why saxophone innovations get shot down so quickly is because there are many, many more traditionally-designed instruments that do the job good enough and (generally) considerably cheaper.

All I can say is, "Well, the sterling model is less expensive than an Inderbinen." It's about the same price as a sterling neck & bell Selmer Jubilee S80 III.

FWIW, it's probably rough to introduce a pro horn that's got all the bells & whistles and is mainly handmade because you've got to charge a specific amount so you can at least break even. However, when Yamaha introduced their Custom series, they priced them very low and (according to what I've read) lost money on 'em. That strategy worked, though: Yamaha's got an awful large market share.

I hope Powell didn't just price themselves out of the market.

Here's one to open the cryo debate..... The flyer says it's an option.....

Given the relatively small price difference, who'd buy the brass model in preference to the silver one? So logically they'll be more sought after in 20 years time, especially if someone proves that brass sounds better than silver on a sax.

Rather out of my price range I'm afraid.

Given the relatively small price difference, who'd buy the brass model in preference to the silver one?
The brass alto is $7990 and the silver one is $9390. If you can call that a "relatively small price difference," you've got the cash to buy one :p. (FWIW, if you buy a brass one and get all the sterling extras, it's $9665.)

Regarding cryo, I was under the impression that was no longer something to debate: while it may do something to the metal, just as heat or pressure could, it's not proven that it can do anything for your tone.

I was wondering if Powell offered cryo for their flutes. Unfortunately, their website is currently down.

The brass alto is $7990 and the silver one is $9390. If you can call that a "relatively small price difference," you've got the cash to buy one :p. (FWIW, if you buy a brass one and get all the sterling extras, it's $9665.)

Regarding cryo, I was under the impression that was no longer something to debate: while it may do something to the metal, just as heat or pressure could, it's not proven that it can do anything for your tone.

I was wondering if Powell offered cryo for their flutes. Unfortunately, their website is currently down.

It's only an extra 17.5%.... And cheaper than the add-ons.

Agree with you on cryo, but there are still some people pushing it .

It's only an extra 17.5%.... And cheaper than the add-ons.
They do mention in the above PDF why getting the extras separately, instead of in one shot, is more expensive. I also kinda expected that.

re: 17.5%. That's still $1400. You could buy one of these for that -- and keep with the King flavor of this thread.

(Of course, if I was told I had 9 grand to spend on getting saxophones, I think I could get a pro everything but a sopranissimo, bass and contrabass for that price -- and have some extra $ for nice mouthpieces.)

I think the real message of the price-point is, "This is the best possible saxophone that we can make and it's at least equivalent to anyone else's pro horn." I really hope it is. If so, it's one of the very few horns that look pretty and play pretty.

I'm definitely interested in a report from Groovekiller. He's had a lot of horns and a few Super 20s, so if he's impressed, I think anyone would be.

Given the relatively small price difference, who'd buy the brass model in preference to the silver one?

The brass alto is $7990 and the silver one is $9390. If you can call that a "relatively small price difference," you've got the cash to buy one :p.
I agree with both points. FWIW, my layman's interpretation is that the difference is merely the extra cost of materials and workmanship associated with the silver option; no higher percentage of profit. I too am a bit surprised at who would go for the pure brass model, other than perhaps a working musician where the softer silver would pose a greater risk of damage following knocks to the horn while on a stand etc. I would not be surprised that the pure brass version is discontinued after a short run and the horns sold at a somewhat discounted price.

I'm definitely interested in a report from Groovekiller. He's had a lot of horns and a few Super 20s, so if he's impressed, I think anyone would be.
A stringent test indeed.

I don't know if fabricating the sterling parts and/or if brazing the sterling tone holes is more difficult to do. I also don't know if Powell doesn't make the horn until you order it. It is supposed to be handmade, right?

As far as manufacturing goes, I don't know whether the silver parts make construction more difficult. I had my doubts about the importance of the silver tone holes. Mike Smith has the same doubts, but when he tried the silver chimneys, he was sold.
When a player on the level of Mike Smith can detect a noticeable difference, I'll accept his opinion, especially when it echoes mine after actual A-B comparison of the two saxophones.
I've had the chance to compare brass Super-20s and Kings with a silver bell and neck many times, even at the factory in the 1970s. There is a difference and all of my Kings have silver bells and necks.
I must point out that I play an early Selmer Mark VI alto, despite the fact that I once owned a very nice King Super-20 with Silver bell and neck. I also have a 1930s Selmer alto that simply plays great.
I just want to try everything out there. There is more than one killer alto, and I hope that somehow the very best one gets into production. it would be nice to see that instrument made in the USA.

Well, I've often mentioned that I could tell a difference between a YBS-62 that had a one-piece bell and the YBS-52 that had a two piece bell. The additional price just wasn't worth it to me.

Mmmm. We're getting into the discussion of material matters. Maybe we need to revisit that topic. Maybe, "Material matters IF you make large portions of the saxophone out of different metals or alloys"?

I've had the chance to compare brass Super-20s and Kings with a silver bell and neck many times, even at the factory in the 1970s. There is a difference and all of my Kings have silver bells and necks.
"-killer" indeed. No silver bells here (sniff). At least Wilton Felder plays sort of alright without.

I just received an email to the effect that the alto is for sale now (for those who can afford it and are willing to shell out $10K).

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom