Probably a silly question ... is it possible to retune a B flat clarinet to an A?

I have an old resonite B flat Bundy which I like very much - however, I would like to be able to play along in church with the other instrumentalists (notably piano) without having to transpose everything. Is it possible to retune my Bundy? If not, can anyone suggest where I can buy an affordable secondhand A clarinet (ie less than about $300 Australian/American)?

Thank you!

Two questions and two easy answers:

Question #1: No (but see Note 1 below)

Question #2: No (but see Note 2 below)

Note 1: Although attempts have been made to make this work, they all have employed extra joints or goofy sliding sleeves over elongated tone holes. So, there's no workable simple solution by modifying the clarinet. However, there is the time-honored "string down the bore" trick.

Get a relatively thick piece of twine about as long as your clarinet's bore. "Fray" out one end of the twine, then drop the non-frayed end down the bore from the top of the barrel. Install the mouthpiece while trapping the frayed end of the twine in the socket, allowing the twine to fall down the bore.

I have actually tried this (with a variety of thicknesses of twine until I found the right one). It works (sort of), dropping the pitch of the horn down to the A clarinet levels, but it plays like - well, like a clarinet with a string down the bore.

Note 2: The terms "cheap", "inexpensive" "functional" and "A soprano clarinet" are never found together. To begin with, and excepting the cheap Chinese instruments, makers have only produced them for their intermediate line of horns or better. So, we're talking a significant investment for most. Second, the used instruments that find their way to eBay are going to go for a premium, since there are many others also looking to score an "inexpensive A soprano clarinet".

You could go the Chinese route. There is at least one A clarinet from the Forbidden Kingdom that is on the market today. However, I've looked at a number of Chinese clarinets from the top tier, and I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Now, for the inexpensive solution to your "play along problem". Someone (I don't remember who, but others will) makes an inexpensive C soprano clarinet. The keywork is somewhat simplified (and all made of plastic - the keys actually snap into place on the joints), but intonation and workmanship is first rate. It's made for smaller children taking up the clarinet, but it would suit your situation perfectly.

Don't look for these second hand - they're a specialty item in the extreme. But, for playing straight off of a piano or vocal chart, they can't be beat.

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply. Interesting idea with the twine - being a cheapskate, I might give that a try first - 99% of our congregation are unlikely to notice the difference or care if they do :D
I was afraid there was no such thing as a cheap A clarinet, having seen that the most common price range is $2,000-$6,000 and more (US/AUS - much the same thing). Your explanation makes good sense, thank you. My
The C clarinet is also an interesting idea - I did actually see one advertised somewhere on my Google travels, so I'll see if I can find it again. Thanks again for your help!

Oops, posted in mid-sentence. I had been going to say my prowess is nowhere near enough to justify spending several thousand on a performance instrument :)

used A and C clarinets can be found on some auction sites. (I bought a Marigaux in "A" for 'bout $70).

Amati's 251/351 C clarinet models aren't too bad. And then I found these, but I have no idea how useable/robust they are. But it's a brick-and-mortar store, and reviews in other forums are encouraging. (no affiliation whatsoever)

Now, for the inexpensive solution to your "play along problem". Someone (I don't remember who, but others will) makes an inexpensive C soprano clarinet. The keywork is somewhat simplified (and all made of plastic - the keys actually snap into place on the joints), but intonation and workmanship is first rate. It's made for smaller children taking up the clarinet, but it would suit your situation perfectly.

Are you thinking of the Nuvo Clarineo?

http://www.nuvo-instrumental.com/index.php?route=products/clarineo_specs

I'd suggest learning to transpose up a step. The more you practice, the easier it becomes. If you are good at transposition, the music and the instrument are always in the "right" key.

I would not play an instrument that had been used as a sex toy ;)

In terms of this Chinese clarinet: I recently played a Bb clarinet that was bought here in China very cheaply. It was surprisingly good, and the workmanship was absolutely OK. Of course with China it is always a gamble. I bought two kitchen knives here in Beijing for the same price: about $4. One was cheap stamped metal with a cheesy plastic handle which broke immediately. The other is excellently made of high-grade stainless which takes and keeps a good edge, and which has now been serving me faithfully for a number of years.

Back
Top Bottom