Reccommend Clarinet Artists to Listen to...

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Here's a little background: I've been playing soprano sax for about 9 years in my church. I am now beginning to embark on taking up the clarinet. I was never in band in school or anything. I just purchased a really nice gently used Buffet B12 clarinet and i plan on taking lessons from an instructor. All of the posts on the site have been great and I've been gleaning from all your advice.

My question is: Can you reccommend some clarinet artists or particular songs for me to listen to (as a beginner) on you tube, so I can get an idea of different styles/ expressive applications for the clarinet.

Appreciate your input. Thanks - Tony

YouTube is great because there's so much content. Also, if you equate "religious music" with classical/baroque music, you'll find a ton: the sax hasn't been around even half as long as the clarinet.

One composer that you're not going to see too much of on YouTube, but who has composed a lot of interesting clarinet music is Peter Schickele. He's my favorite composer.

I love Eddie Daniels and have heard him in person on several occasions as he is a regular at the Salt Lake City Jazz Festival. The only problem is he makes playing the clarinet look so easy that when I go home inspired to practice my jazz clarinet invariably I get frustrated at how difficult it really is (until you have mastered the geography of the instrument).

Not only have I met Eddie Daniels in person and heard him play, I have also had the privilege of fighting with him over the last juicy scraps of roast pig that we all (including the guy from Israel who did the metal bassoon key "pads") were digging into at a pig roast. Between the five or six of us, we picked that sucker clean, dietary laws be damn'd.

Eddie did all of the clarinet and sax work for the original Twin Peaks soundtrack, and it is interesting to listen to him bending notes all over the place on same.

Back
Top Bottom