Recorder Suiting My Style?

Hi,

I have a slightly unusual question. I learned to play indian 6 hole flute since I was 6 year old. Now I am 68. I like to use my playing experience on recorders. I tried recorder and the thing I love about it is its bottom hole which allow me to go much higher note than on my flute.

The issue is I am used to play flute with my right hand on top. I can't change this after playing flute for 60 years. I would like to buy an excellent wooden recorder (up tp $100) which will suite my way of playing. I would appreciate your suggestions and comments.

Regards,

Val

Recorders are mostly symmetric with the exception of the lowermost pinky (at least my soprano and alto recorders are built that way). It should be fairly easy for a woodwind repairer to either fill the existing pinky hole and drill a new (double) hole on the opposite side of the bell, or simply re-shape the pinky cutout so that it's comfortable for you. Of course, this is easier if the recorder has a detachable bell. My alto would need nearly no modifications in order to "change hands", so to speak.

Re brands - pff, no idea. I would have started with an inexpensive plastic Yamaha recorder who could serve as a proof of concept. What voice are you thinking about - Soprano, Alto, ... ?

Hello Ben,

Thank you so much for your reply.

What voice? I have no idea. One that comes close to my indian flute would be my preference, so you can give me advice on that. Which Alto do you have?

Couple of more things. Although I am 5-11 in height, I have small palm and fingers, so recorders in 12 inch length instead of 18 inch length would be my choice. As for the pinkie hole, what if I keep it open and not use it. Would it be a problem?

Regards,

Val

Val,

I had to look up what key/range the Indian (American Indian, right?) flute is in. Uhm, there's quite a lot of them. Well, I measured the finger spacing of my Alto recorder (a Fehr school instrument in pearwood, http://www.aswltd.com/FehraltII.jpg), the index..ring finger distance is 2.5 inches, which means roughly 1.25" per finger - that too wide?

The Alto recorder is in F, I don't know how well that mixes with your repertoire. The next smaller would be the soprano recorder, tuned in C, with adequately smaller finger spacings.

Per the pinky hole - you can leave it open, of course. Which means you lose one note; I don't know offhand if that would create a "missing note" between octaves, you'd have to consult a fingering chart.

Per the pitch and timbre - I find the Alto easier on the ears; the soprano has exactly the pitch of a slighly agitated female voice, if you get the hint. :)

Ben,

The Pearwood Alto looks real good. Is this 3 piece? If it is the bottom piece can be turned to match up pinkie of left hand. What is the total length? Looks like it is 12 inch.

BTW -- I looked at your website. It is very nice. You and I have few things in common besides playing woodwind instruments. I worked in the computer industry for 37 years before retiring. Did variety of projects in software engineering. Also, I am into Digital Photography, and have been in it since the start of it. I have Canon 5D with 24-105 and 70-200 both with f4.0 IS. Let's keep in touch.

Regards,

Val

Val,

the total length of my Alto recorder is 46 cm or 18 inches.
And although the bell/foot can be twisted to match a left-handed pinky, the double hole there still remains right-handed (it would be very difficult to close just the inner hole with the LH pinky), so it remains a compromise.

In your situation, I'd buy an inexpensive Yamaha 3xx Alto Recorder (around 30$). It also has a 3-piece body, and you could experiment with the tone hole placement (or re-drilling matching LH pinky holes) without investing huge loads of money. Their tone is reasonably good and I honestly don't think the average person would detect the difference from a wooden instrument.

Last edited:
Ben,

Thank you so much for your input.

I am leaning towards Yamaha 3 Piece Simulated Rosewood YRS-312B. I would like real wood (pearwood, maple or rosewood) and would not mind paying around $100. I like the picture of your Alto Pearwood, it has all six holes lined up straigth vertically just like in Indian flute. Is there a 12 inch version of it available somewhere? I wouldn't mind buying a little used to get in my price range. Any suggestions you have will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Val

Personally, I'd get the Yamaha recorder.

There are a lot of used school instruments around, but these are, unlike clarinets, often not made from the same grade of hardwood, nor have they been treated with the same respect as a wooden clarinet. Chances are you get an abused stick with toothmarks and ovoid bore unless you can try it first.

And: I'm certainly not the pickiest person ever, but recorder mouthpieces are somewhat difficult to clean, and the thought of me and an 8yo cookie monster (and I don't know who else) sharing the same mouthpiece....<shudder>

Ben,

I agree. To go with used is not a very good idea.

So, what if I go with Yamaha 3 Piece Simulated Rosewood YRS-312B? Is it good for hobbysts or is it just for kid's play? What do you think?

Regards,

Val

Ben,

I agree. To go with used is not a very good idea.

So, what if I go with Yamaha 3 Piece Simulated Rosewood YRS-312B? Is it good for hobbysts or is it just for kid's play? What do you think?

Regards,

Val
I think it's safe to say that Yamahas are probably the best plastic recorders out there - far from being a kid's toy (unless you choose a pink translucent one, maybe).

Back
Top Bottom