Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

RIP Bud Shank

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
From Jazz Times:

Bud Shank, an alto saxophonist and flutist whose career spanned more than a half century, died April 2 at his home in Tucson, Ariz. The cause was not available but Shank was said to have had “some ongoing health issues.” A day earlier Shank had been in San Diego recording a new album. Shank was 82.

Sad news indeed. The old lions are not immortal alas, and we have lost quite a few in the last year and a half.

The man will be missed. Check here for some of his music. I really like his minority with Phil Woods. Good stuff.

Washington Post sez: Pioneer of Cool Jazz Improvised 'California Dreamin' ' Solo
Bud Shank, 82, who brought Brazilian music to U.S. audiences, helped define "cool jazz" in the 1950s and played the dreamlike flute solo on the Mamas and the Papas' 1965 hit "California Dreamin'," died April 2 at his home in Tucson. He had a lung ailment.

Read more...

Last edited:
How sad. I completely missed this until now. I believe he was one of the first to join Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All Stars in Hermosa Beach, CA (SoCal) a West Coast Jazz group of some prominence at that time.

I remember his album with Laurindo Almeida, a classic, IMO.

The NYT obit indicated on the day he died he went to a San Diego recording studio session as a "musician for hire" after his doctor told him to do so would mean he would die. He went and the doctor was right. He died of a pulmonary embolism.

Another jazz great with a wonderful legacy has passed.

Back
Top Bottom