Rocking Barrel

As mentioned in another thread, I was given a buffet B12 as a thank you gift recently. it's about 12 years old and I posted a photograph of the mouthpiece which is quite scuffed, a VanDoren B45.

I don't want to get too serious about the clarinet, as I am primarily learning the saxophone. But I thought it would be nice to try and get a few notes from it. I have ordered a new beginners mouthpiece, some 1 1/2 reeds and a new inexpensive ligature as one of the screws broke on the old one.

my question is about the barrel. It seems to be slightly rocking but not too far. It's hard to be exact, But perhaps around a couple of millimetres. Is this likely to be a problem, and if so is there a way to try and fix it without going to a technician?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rocking Barrell

Wrap some paper or scotch tape around the cork.

Better than paper is to get a roll of plumbers teflon tape and put a couple of turns of that on the joint. Even better is to take the instrument to a tech and get the joint cork replaced. It's a minor job and shouldn't cost much.
Tony F.

Thanks Guys - the simplest solutions are often the best :) I was trying to avoid a trip to the tech, as my nearest one is over a 4 hour round trip away. But, he recently replaced the cork on my alto sax, and I know he'll do a good job.

QUICK UPDATE: I bought the teflon tape (called plumber's tape here) for 1 Euro. Two turns of it on the cork and the barrel is as solid as a rock.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom