Romero System

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
A few days ago, I came across a couple of saxophones that I had never seen or heard of before and they looked really, really interesting:

https://www.acimv.fr/nouvelles-news/instruments-volés-stolen-instruments/ (really big pics)

I had heard of the Romero System before, but only on clarinets. Then I looked back to see where I heard of them from. Hey, it's Gandalfe's website. However, the article was written by Terry Stibal (SOTSDO), a gentleman who was a clarinet Content Expert here until he passed away in 2015.

I thought the keywork was extremely interesting and that led me to undertake a trip surfin' the Internet today. Here's some stuff I found:

PICTURES
Full Romero System tan-stained boxwood clarinet from Lefèvre (Paul Bié, the co-author on the Romero patent, owned Lefèvre).
Full Romero System black-stained boxwood clarinet from Paul Bié. This example has a few extremely large zoomable pics.
Partial Romero System blackwood clarinet. This "half Romero" horn is somewhat similar to the [HASHTAG]#656[/HASHTAG] saxophone in the above link to www.acimv.fr.

VIDEO
There's a well-produced video here. (Here's a bit better version, on YouTube.) It's in Spanish. There's a subtitle track here. You can translate the subtitles with Google Translate, if you'd like. The video's got some great shots of the clarinets -- including the patent drawings and original cases -- so you can easily enjoy it without the subtitles.

OTHER
There's a fingering chart for the clarinet on page 186 of this Google Book, The Clarinet, by Eric Hoeprich. There's a nice bit of exposition about what the design was supposed to do.
There's a PDF article here, from the Galpin Society (see pages 4 and 5). The pic is of the tan boxwood horn that I mentioned above.
Here's a PDF of the exhibition of Antonio Romero at the Real Conservatorio Superior de Musica de Madrid. It's in Spanish. There's a close up of the tan boxwood horn in the flyer.

I'm relatively sure that there are only four or five remaining Romero System clarinets. As far as the saxophones go, I believe the two listed on www.acimv.fr are the only examples, as I could not find any other references to them.

I miss Terry. Pete, I posted this to my blog, the Bis Key Chronicles more as a parting wave to Terry than anything else. He was going to write this piece and we didn't get around to it before he passed.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-1_10-11-52.png
    upload_2017-1-1_10-11-52.png
    549.8 KB · Views: 290
Hey, thanks for the cross-post, Jim!

I knew that I didn't have time to make a really decent article on these horns, but I wanted to post at least something. There's just so much great stuff out there in the vintage instrument world.

Back
Top Bottom