Salt Marsh Rag Published

Roger Aldridge

Composer in Residence
Distinguished Member
ArtifexMusic has published Salt Marsh Rag (for 5 wind instruments and jazz rhythm section). ArtifexMusic is based in the Netherlands and has worldwide music distribution. This page on my site has more details.... http://www.rogeraldridge.com/artifexmusic.html

Salt Marsh Rag has an early jazz feeling and a good amount of humor. It is meant to be fun and something that is distinctly different for performers and audiences. I think of it as tongue-in-cheek retro. That is, while this rag draws upon American roots music and is intended to sound old, I envision it being performed by contemporary music players. Performers are encouraged to discover their vision of this music and take it in any creative direction they want to go with it.

The score was originally conceived for woodwind quintet and rhythm section. Alternate parts are provided for an assortment of instruments within the range of each of the quintet parts. Thus, as one possibility, it can be played by sax section & rhythm. Ensembles can explore creative orchestration with Salt Marsh Rag by playing it with different configurations of instruments. The rhythm section is also flexible. Ideally, a trio (bass, drums, and piano or guitar) is used. However, the rhythm section can have more or fewer instruments -- even just a guitar.

As another possibility, two (or more) musicians can be used on each wind instrument part. This option of having doubled parts -- with either same or different instruments on a part -- is an easy way for larger ensembles to perform this music.

Thanks Pete! It's putting the foot in the water to see how it goes. If this piece does well, I might add some more ensemble pieces to the agreement. But, a step at a time. I'm also curious about how my music will do in Europe. I'm getting quite a few visitors to my website from Europe as well as Japan, Argentina, etc.

Back
Top Bottom