Sax Quartet charts for a Clarinet Quartet

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I'm having my sax quartet guyz bring their clarinets to the next Professor Gadget Sax Quartet practice. I'm gonna try playing some sax quartet charts with this instrumentation:
  • Soprano clarinet (Bb)
  • Alto clarinet (Eb)
  • Bass clarinet (Bb)
  • Contra-alto clarinet (EEb)
I'd luv to hear if anyone has tried this before. I worry that the alto clarinet will be too soft, otherwise the volumes should be fine. I luv to hear of other groups who've done this or better yet video'd the result.

I know I'm just lazy, not wanting to transcribe the quartets to work with the Leblanc BBb contra-bass clarinet (paperclip) that I already have.

I'm having my sax quartet guyz bring their clarinets to the next Professor Gadget Sax Quartet practice. I'm gonna try playing some sax quartet charts with this instrumentation:
  • Soprano clarinet (Bb)
  • Alto clarinet (Eb)
  • Bass clarinet (Bb)
  • Contra-alto clarinet (EEb)
I'd luv to hear if anyone has tried this before. I worry that the alto clarinet will be too soft, otherwise the volumes should be fine. I luv to hear of other groups who've done this or better yet video'd the result.

I know I'm just lazy, not wanting to transcribe the quartets to work with the Leblanc BBb contra-bass clarinet (paperclip) that I already have.
Doing the double transposition to bass clef and BBb is probably easier than playing the beast. I tried writing parts out once, doing the transposition in my head was faster. (playing on the other hand...)

I'd worry more that the contralto clarinet isn't loud enough.

Considering we've both probably played identical Leblanc Bb contras, you know that the contra doesn't have half the volume of, say, a Bb bass sax. I can't see an Eb contra clarinet having as much volume as a bari.

I think the Bb clarinet and Bb soprano sax are almost identical, in terms of how much usable volume you have, but the tone is a lot different. And you've got, what, a 5th of the clarinet that you're not using.

I have transposed sax quartets for clarinet groups and I generally have given the alto sax part to the Bb clarinet. If it it's insanely high, I can throw in a Eb sopranino clarinet to preserve some of the "color" of a Bb soprano sax going into overdrive, otherwise it's possible that you could do with

* Bb clarinet (soprano sax part)
* Bb clarinet (alto sax part)
* Bb bass clarinet (tenor sax part)
* Bb bass clarinet (bari sax part)

However, a clarinet ensemble with the instrumentation you'll have is interesting, visually.

Back
Top Bottom