Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Seeking popular hymns in jazz style - sheet music

Our local vicar has asked a few people to play together, playing hymns in a jazz styles. There is likely to be piano, trombone, clarinet, trumpet, bass and whatever I decide to take, probably a bass clarinet.

Does anybody have any non-copyrighted sheet music they could throw my way!?....

Or a lead on a published book?

Any ideas will be gratefully received......

Thanks

Chris

Thanks - we are doing it on 24th May, so no immediate hurry.

Any adaptable parts would be great, to get us going. I have software that can scan sheet music and put it to notation on the computer so can change keys and edit easily. Even a midi file of an arrangement would be useful, as they are easily turned into computer music notation to print off sheet music.

Chris

Here's the response and not one that will probably work for you I suspect:

Ahhh, we have the ultimate source for that type of music. Our Director of Worship (who knows Neil and went to school with him), writes all original arrangements every week--or at least most every week. He writes arrangements based on whatever instruments happen to be available that week. For example, on Easter, we had three trumpets, my tenor sax, Jim's bari sax, two flute players, keyboard and rhythm section. We played some amazing stuff.

I have heard so many cool arrangements of Amazing Grace, you would not believe it. Today, he arranged a really cool rocking rendition of Rock of Ages. And he has done really awesome stuff to "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". This young man is one of the most talented guys I have ever encountered. He plays guitar and viola and his wife plays violin. One week he wrote all country blue grass music,k

If your friend is willing to pay for arrangements (believe me, our Director needs money--you know that church's cannot afford to pay their staff very much!), then perhaps I can connect them.

A popular event at many traditional jazz festivals are Sunday-morning church services held by some of the bands at the festival. I used to play in a Montana-based trad band and we had three band members who were heavily into church music, so it was easy for them to put on a whole service with just the band. Of course, we did not use written music but played several hymns in trad-jazz style. Our services were always a huge hit.

Some of the tunes we played were standard spirituals such as CLOSER WALK WITH THEE and THE OLD RUGGED CROSS. But we also did some stompers like I'LL FLY AWAY, STAND UP FOR JESUS (usually the processional) , and WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS.

Somehow, I don't think it would have been as spirited if we'd done a bebop or smooth-jazz style jazz. But New Orleans style got 'em all in the aisles. It was down-home, hand-clappin', foot-stompin' music and everyone was smiling when the service was over. DAVE

Gandalfe

Thanks, but as you guess, I will be trying to explore the potential for free resources first. And thank you, others, for contributions so far.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom