Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Selmer Artys

Looking for opinions of this now discontinued model. WWBW is blowing them out at a great price and I'm having a GAS attack. ;-)

Pros? Cons? Since there's not one around me that I can try out, your experiences are appreciated.

TJ

1. I briefly Googled. Some comments that it's the same horn as the Selmer 10S. YMMV.

2. According to THIS, it's an A=442hz instrument. If you're really worried about pitch, you might want to worry about that: it's European Orchestral Standard. (In practice, this isn't a deal breaker: 2hz? I'd love to only be 2hz out of tune.)

3. Brief search merely said "good horn". I searched on various epithets of "Selmer artys junk" and didn't find any hits.

Thanks for the replies.

I read those Trevor Jones comments earlier today. Interestingly, it's the same description as the Arthea model that "replaced" the Artys? Not a very personal review either. Who cares about two cents in this day and age? A442 would likely be a benefit to me as struggle with adjusting my sax-like embouchure. That is, I tend to be flat anyway :oops:

Since the only Selmer clarinet I've ever played is the Series 9 I own now, I don't have any idea what a 10S has in terms of reputation. I'm just getting started on the instrument (luvin' it!). If it's like a R13, that's fine. I did like the one R13 I tried in the store. My Series 9 just got a tune up, but I suspect it really needs more extensive care to get it in top playing shape. I don't know if I want to spend the additional investment into it.

Anyway, I called WWBW and made an order. Due to a brief pricing glitch on their website, I was able to get another $200 more off. I guess timing is everything :) I can always return it ya' know. Seeing how these pro models skyrocket in price as of late, I'm likely to keep it and be happy. I should have it in a week. Wish me luck.

Being a long time player of Series 9 horns (some forty five years on the Bb and about thirty on the A) and a relatively long term player of the Series 10 and 10S (about seven years now), I clearly prefer the Series 9 horns. I like some things about Buffet style and feel (which the Series 10S offers in spades), but I feel that the Series 9 has a superior tone and "feel" to it.

And, as I say on just about every occasion, if I had to replace my horns with something else, I'd opt for a pair of Recitals. I can't express how much I love that model of clarinet, fat body and all. However, they don't (Chris's recollections aside) seem to offer the keywork that I want, so I imagine that I'll just stay with what I have.

Gear acquisition syndrome (which is what "GAS" means, I gather) gets exponentially more expensive the further away from the most critical component (the player) that you get. (Practice is cheaper than reeds, reeds are cheaper than ligatures, ligatures are cheaper than mouthpieces, mouthpieces are cheaper than barrels, and barrels are cheaper than horns.) As there are so many different combinations that you can make here, it's almost futile to look to the horn as the way to "fix" the problem.

But, if you've got the money. that's easy enough to overcome.

I read those Trevor Jones comments earlier today. Interestingly, it's the same description as the Arthea model that "replaced" the Artys?
Well, looking at the details of both horns, they have the same bore dimensions. It just looks like the Arthea doesn't have a mouthpiece or case (at least, on the TJ website -- Selmer's blurb says that they're included).

Now, you certainly can do a bunch of things with the bore on a clarinet, but I think the only difference might be keywork.

Being a long time player of Series 9 horns (some forty five years on the Bb and about thirty on the A) and a relatively long term player of the Series 10 and 10S (about seven years now), I clearly prefer the Series 9 horns. I like some things about Buffet style and feel (which the Series 10S offers in spades), but I feel that the Series 9 has a superior tone and "feel" to it.

And, as I say on just about every occasion, if I had to replace my horns with something else, I'd opt for a pair of Recitals. I can't express how much I love that model of clarinet, fat body and all. However, they don't (Chris's recollections aside) seem to offer the keywork that I want, so I imagine that I'll just stay with what I have.

Gear acquisition syndrome (which is what "GAS" means, I gather) gets exponentially more expensive the further away from the most critical component (the player) that you get. (Practice is cheaper than reeds, reeds are cheaper than ligatures, ligatures are cheaper than mouthpieces, mouthpieces are cheaper than barrels, and barrels are cheaper than horns.) As there are so many different combinations that you can make here, it's almost futile to look to the horn as the way to "fix" the problem.

But, if you've got the money. that's easy enough to overcome.

The Series 9 has a deep tone that I do like. If, as you say, the Artys will give something different to compliment it that's all the better. Thanks for your experiences. I always enjoy your post btw.

Practice and lessons (and books) are the top of my food chain. Buying this horn on the cheap I figure will buy me time before I'll need to get the Series 9 overhauled. I wouldn't have gone for it if it wasn't the half price off deal.

Last edited:
interesting thought
at $1395 your close to a complete price of your 9 overhauled and buying an ebay 10S and it having an overhaul .. depending how much the overhauls cost

Could be. I was quoted about $300 for the overhaul with the 9. Buying an older wooden clarinet via ebay doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. Ebay has become like a box of chocolates. YMMV... greatly ;-) Heck, I bought my 9 from a recommended dealer and it never really played as well as I thought it should even after I sent it back for a fix. But, that's a whole other story.

So, I'm glad to be buying new. For about a half a day, the price listed on the WWBW site was $1,199. That's half the current ProWinds price. They honored that price when I called and ordered. I finally after many complaints can say something good about WWBW.

Anyway, I just hoping for a great horn to learn and keep forever. I may end up with two after overhauling the 9.

made after they designed some intonation improvements over the original model. and a year before the Serie 10 was unofficially released

Selmer officially released the Serie 10 in 1971. but I have examples dating back to 1968, sn # V78xx

If you feel, after the Artys, that you no longer want the Series 9 give me a shout. Then i'll overhaul it to my specifications but give you a chance to give it some toots as a comparison. Maybe you'll want it back .....

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I'll be keeping the 9 for the foreseable future. Even if I keep the Artys. As I get my playing skills together, I be able to make an informed preferance later. I will get the 9 overhauled soon if I keep the Artys.

tj,
If your Artys plays anything like my Signature you may just let Steve keep the 9.
I just wish I could play it to it's full potential.

artys ebay

just a quickie, there is an Artys on UK Ebay at this very moment, clearly second hand! worth a look? One year old £800 start Item number: 290264242889 Thought it may be of interest.

Got the Artys today. I really like it. It has a crisp and focused tone with a nice singing quality. Not as full deep sonority as my 9. It's much more colorful in harmonics and bright. They are very complimentary in opposites to each other. It's very responsive. Less air is needed and I tended to over blow at first. Some notes above E to B at the break play a little stuffy and flat. Especially, open G. It likely just needs a set up and some break in time. It appears to have been untouched since it left the factory. All pieces were tightly wrapped in plastic.

I only played it for 15 minutes to stay within the recommended break in cycle. Seems kind of strict but understandable. So until it's broken in, I'll be waiting on the 9 overhaul.

TJ

What mouthpiece did it come with? A C85-105?

It's funny that you would say it sounds bright. The Artys is 'supposed' to be darker than the Signature. My Signature is darker and more focused. than my Buffet.

Must be a difference in our training and set ups.

It's supposed to come with a C85. Don't remember which tip opening.

I'd be interested in hearing which mouthpiece you're using with it.

What mouthpiece did it come with? A C85-105?

It's funny that you would say it sounds bright. The Artys is 'supposed' to be darker than the Signature. My Signature is darker and more focused. than my Buffet.

Must be a difference in our training and set ups.

I'm pretty sure it's a C85-120 per Prowinds website. I didn't take a good look at it to be honest even though I tried it out on the 9 and liked it. I used my Grabner K14 with the Artys.

It's bright next to my 9. That has a very deep color overall. The Artys low end doesn't resonate as much. The highs are crisp. It's centered in tone if that means anything to you. That all stated, I need to play it more to really know myself. I'll get my next 15 minutes with it later today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom