series 1922 selmer curved soprano sax.

Hello, everyone. This is my first thread, just joined. Just came into a curved selmer soprano sax,model 1922 s/n1029 and engraved H selmer. Was wondering what this thing might be worth. Aside from the pads it is in excellant condition. Thanks

Depends a lot on the condition.

Me said:
I also recommend taking pictures of the following:

-> Left side.
-> Right side.
-> Closeup of any marking or engraving (including the serial number).
-> The octave key mechanism -- but not so much that I can't see the actual octave key, itself. That's the thing you put your left thumb on.
-> A tonehole ("valve") or two, particularly of the ones on the bell, if you're talking about a saxophone.
-> Anything you feel is unique or interesting about your horn.
-> The neck, barrel, bocal or headjoint of the instrument.
-> Picture of any major damage that you see.
-> Low C keyguard, if it's a saxophone. That's the key you'd hit with the pinky of your right hand.

I do not want or need close-ups of interesting-looking rust patterns or funky mold growing on your horn.

I'll also note that unless it's engraved "Modele 1922," it's not. I'll also note 99.99% of the "Modele 22" curved sopranos I see are Selmer NY horns made by Conn.

Well, I am a bit late to this discussion, but I am still not sure what I have??? It is a Silver-plated, Selmer New York Soprano Sax in Great Condition, Serial # 549XXX
I estimate manufacturing date of 1918-1925 but still wondered about make and value. It could be the rare bird that Selmer made only a few of? or made by Buescher for Selmer? What do you guys think?

Selmer NY horns were (generally) made by Conn or Buescher, none of them were made by Selmer Paris.

I checked the pix of the OP's horn on another site. It does indeed appear to be a French Selmer curved sop, identical to my Modèle 22. Series 1922 horns I have read immediately precede the Modèle 22s. It is interesting to note that the 1922 pictured, my Modèle 22, and pictures I have seen of a BA curved sop are identical, except for the bell stamps and, in the case of the BA, a pearl touch on the alt F#. To me this lends credence to the assumption that there were some curved bodies lying around when Selmer acquired the Sax shop, which they keyed up now and again and sold on special order or whatever. This would explain the rarity, as they were not tooled to make more, and the fact that the construction and design did not change across time and a range of models.

Back
Top Bottom