Setting Up Shop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tictactux, Jan 14, 2014.

1. tictactux

tictactux Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

Of course. :)
    Yes, the book is on its way, but thank you for the hint anyway. Much appreciated.

I was taught BE in school (which was before the internet age), and now I find myself constantly watching my "correct" spelling - not an easy task with English not being your native language. Per the Naming Of Things, I remember when I bought my first Haynes Motorbike repair manual there was a section dedicated "to the American reader" with a glossary of many British terms. :)

2. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

I just wanted to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you.

3. griff136

griff136

4. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ben I like repair techs, some of my best friends are ... erm. ;)

I recently did a survey of some local techs who were not associated with a big music chain store. They make *most* of their money buying instruments needing repair on eBay, Craig's List, and else for pennies on the dollar, fixing them up, and then renting them to first time students. More than 80% of the time the student uses the rental for 2 two three years and then either gives up or buys a new instrument. So the tech gets the instrument back and rents it again. Something to consider ...

5. tictactux

tictactux Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

Yes, I thought of that too. But first I need some stock I could rent out. :)

I could supply a wind ensemble by now, missing only a bari...

However, I casually dropped word of my business in the bands I'm subbing in, and the interest has been considerable. We'll see in late march, when the outdoor season begins... :cool: