Sheet music inquiry

Hi all. Composer here, still learning the craft of orchestration, and how to properly notate sheet music. Was hoping to get some feedback from some players, so I can understand something.

Sibelius acting weird and handling accidentals improperly not withstanding....

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/temp/woods.jpg

Obviously, this passage is not playable with every note connected; humans need to breathe. I have been told, however, that the woodwind writing here is problematic - due to breath issues. I asked, "If you are not expecting the players to play all of the notes connected, why is there a need to create space for the players to breathe? Can't the players just.... take a breath when needed?" The response I got was:

Two problems here:

1. It takes up valuable studio time. When they have to stop and ask questions about what you want ........

2. What if they need to breathe at the worst possible time ? Why do you want to take that chance ?

While I do not think point #1 is valid, I am wondering about #2. I have been told in the past - regarding every instrument - that musicians generally know what and how to play. "They'll figure it out" is something that I have heard more than once.

Ultimately, I am wondering if the sheet music is indeed problematic, and if so, what would you musicians rather see? Or is it ok as is?

Thanks in advance.

I see no problem at all with the music as written. The performer can take a quick breath at the end of every two measures without interrupting the continuity of the line.

I have a mild form of dyslexia. I was sure that this was a thread about "Sheet Music Injury." That would be a REALLY interesting thread, I think.

Back
Top Bottom