Slightly Behind the Times

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
A couple of interesting things that I found out today.

1. I've mentioned I have a Kindle Keyboard. The reason why was because that was the only Kindle that had free, unlimited 3g Internet. Amazon discontinued it today, along with several other models and has introduced some new ones. Yes, your Fire that you bought all of 10 months ago for Christmas has been discontinued, too.

2. This is less trivial.

A couple weeks ago, I discovered a comic strip called "Cul de Sac" (you can read most of them here). It's a quite amusing comic that's won the Reuben (kinda like the Oscar, but for comics) and has been praised by Bill Watterson, the creator of "Calvin and Hobbes" (you can read most of the comics here, if you've never heard of it) and widely regarded as one of the top 10 comic artists ever.

I've been recommending Cul de Sac up to a couple folks, too.

WF tie-ins: one of the protagonists in Cul de Sac is "Petey." (VERY few people call me that. And live.) He also attempts to play oboe and generally fails in very comic ways, which is about my history with the oboe. My mom's husband also bears a striking resemblance to Petey's father (also named "Petey").

I read a lot of the Cul de Sac comics and eventually noticed that some posters were mentioning that one comic or another was drawn by another artist because the Cul de Sac creator, Richard Thompson, was ill. I decided to research that a bit.

Well, probably at the moment I discovered this comic, Richard Thompson announced his retirement. He's got early-onset Parkinson's, which has made it very difficult to meet a deadline pace. Cul de Sac will print its final near the end of the month.

Anyhow, if you happen to go look at those Cul de Sac strips on Go Comics, you'll notice a blurb for "Team Cul de Sac" at the top of each page. It's a fundraiser book with artwork donated by 150 different artists. Proceeds go to the Michael J. Fox Foundation.

Why do I discover all the good things too late? I already mentioned those pretty B&S Chicago Jazz saxophones I missed out on by about 7 years ....

Back
Top Bottom