Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

So, can anyone tell me about this one?

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I have a clarinet mouthpiece that's stamped "Ideal Paris, France" and "HS **". Considering it looks identical to the mouthpiece in this eBay ad, I assume it's made by Riffault. I also assume that it's pretty old: it was stashed in a Pan American metal clarinet case that my mom got antiquing (the clarinet is missing the barrel, so it's a wall-hanger).

Comparing it to my Selmer C85/120, the tip is much smaller and the interior is more squared off -- but the two mouthpieces are the same length and width. Same pedigree? I haven't tried it yet: no reeds and my wife's clarinet is at school.

(I think Ed's got some experience with Riffault.)

Most clarinet mpcs are approx the same length, and most look the same. Assuming them being the same pedigree is mostly mistaken. Selmer rarely makes a mpc for anyone else, same with Vandoren. But in the early years of the US makers they would take whatever they could get their hands on and wipe out the maker and stamp their own names on them.

With Ideal and Riffault though I'm not sure much about them. the HS** stamp is not in the location that Selmer would place it - table or back of body. I'm sure it's their own designation they simply ripped off from Selmer.

SteveSklar said:
the HS** stamp is not in the location that Selmer would place it - table or back of body. I'm sure it's their own designation they simply ripped off from Selmer.
Or vice-versa. How old's the Selmer HS**? :D

Actually, I did do a bit of Googling on the mouthpiece. A lot of folks seem to want to associate it with Selmer. At the very least, people seem to think these are decent mouthpieces.

Maybe I'll sell it :).

I wish I still had good clarinet chops. I couldn't tell you if it plays like my C85. I can only tell you that it's as expensive as one, based on the ads I've seen.

I use a Selmer HS * that has been dated back to the 1920's by folks with the Selmer firm. Best one that I've ever used, for that matter.

And, I have never seen the "HS" associated with a ? or even a ?. It may be that they never exerted their copyright for something so mundane. Didn't they leave the Balanced Tone and Centered Tone terms in the public domain as well?

Terry, now that you mention it, i've never seen any copyright or Resctriction for any of the selmer stuff .. HS, CT, BT. I would think they wouldn't mind if people adopted the tip measuring standards that they had .... also the the Brand system came and went in the late 1930s.

My old Selmer mpc is on my short list of good mpcs. It has the old buffet-type ( oval) Selmer emblem on it.

Ideal MP

This post is an oldie, but I recently found out some information on the Ideals that are appearing on the market. They are Riffaults that were made for a guy that had a music shop in NYC back in the 50s (or before). The shop owner passed on and his son has a bunch of these, new in boxes, that he is selling on e-bay, and probably other places too.

I picked up an HS* Bb mp, an Eb and an Alto for very reasonable prices. They are hard rubber and appear reasonably well made, EXCEPT, the facing is cast in with absolutely no finish work. The tables and rails are wildly uneven. As recieved, they are very poor performers. I'm not a professional refacer by any stretch, but after an hour of table and rail cleanup, the Bb and Eb play pretty well. With some real professional refacing, they would probably be good MPs. I haven't done the alto, because I haven't finished overhauling my alto clarinet.

So, in my opinion, they are good blanks and that's about it.

I was pointed to those ebay auctions at one time. But considering I didn't need any more mpcs I skipped getting any. It's interesting that you say they aren't finished, i think his batches before were as a associate got one and played as it ... he must of had a ton of them packed away

This post is an oldie, but I recently found out some information on the Ideals that are appearing on the market. They are Riffaults that were made for a guy that had a music shop in NYC back in the 50s (or before). The shop owner passed on and his son has a bunch of these, new in boxes, that he is selling on e-bay, and probably other places too.

I picked up an HS* Bb mp, an Eb and an Alto for very reasonable prices. They are hard rubber and appear reasonably well made, EXCEPT, the facing is cast in with absolutely no finish work. The tables and rails are wildly uneven. As recieved, they are very poor performers. I'm not a professional refacer by any stretch, but after an hour of table and rail cleanup, the Bb and Eb play pretty well. With some real professional refacing, they would probably be good MPs. I haven't done the alto, because I haven't finished overhauling my alto clarinet.

So, in my opinion, they are good blanks and that's about it.
Great info. Thanks.

BTB, welcome and enjoy the forum!

I'm guessing bye-the-bye, but I could be wrong.

I own a Selmer HS** clarinet piece but don't play it. Way too closed for my chops. Yet, I once did a gig with a clarinetist who used a HS** and he had a nice, full, strong tone. Oh well . . . DAVE

You're both wrong. Or both right. BTB means "By the bye" (I have seen variants, thus the disclaimer). Meaning: "By the way".

I guess you can spell my name anyway you want to spell it . . . but the "e" in the first BY was just too much eeeeee. DAVE

Back
Top Bottom