soprano sax mpc on tárogató

kymarto

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
While I was at it, I decided to make an adapter for sop sax mpcs for my tárogató. I have the old Hungarian style with a female tenon receiver on the body, so it was a fairly simple matter to adapt some brass tubing I had of the correct diameter to fit tightly into the tárogató body.

On the Stowasser/Timis type, with tenon on the body, it would be a real pain: the mpc barrel would have to be cut off and an adapter made to fit over the body tenon.

I was definitely underwhelmed by the result: the sound is very tubby and not very pleasant. And this is with two fairly bright sop mpcs, a Berg Larsen and a Runyon Quantum. I am realizing that the charm/curse of the tárogató is in the small fingerholes. They create a completely different kind of sound/response than larger holes located further down the body, as on saxophone: a more muted, but much more intonationally variable sound, with lots of possibilities of varying the sound/intonation in the higher register with forked fingerings.

With the Stowasser I will be getting two mpcs, the original Stowasser, and one custom made by Ioan Scaunas. I'll report back when I have the horn in hand. In the meantime, leave the sop mpcs for the sax...

While I was at it, I decided to make an adapter for sop sax mpcs for my tárogató. I have the old Hungarian style with a female tenon receiver on the body, so it was a fairly simple matter to adapt some brass tubing I had of the correct diameter to fit tightly into the tárogató body.

On the Stowasser/Timis type, with tenon on the body, it would be a real pain: the mpc barrel would have to be cut off and an adapter made to fit over the body tenon.

I was definitely underwhelmed by the result: the sound is very tubby and not very pleasant. And this is with two fairly bright sop mpcs, a Berg Larsen and a Runyon Quantum. I am realizing that the charm/curse of the tárogató is in the small fingerholes. They create a completely different kind of sound/response than larger holes located further down the body, as on saxophone: a more muted, but much more intonationally variable sound, with lots of possibilities of varying the sound/intonation in the higher register with forked fingerings.

With the Stowasser I will be getting two mpcs, the original Stowasser, and one custom made by Ioan Scaunas. I'll report back when I have the horn in hand. In the meantime, leave the sop mpcs for the sax...

I predict that the one from Mr. Scaunas will have a brighter, stronger sound than the original. Let us know!

George

Back
Top Bottom