Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Speakers. A little off topic, but you have to have something to listen through ...

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
As mentioned elsewhere, I've been getting into electronic music again. I had some really decent studio monitors, but I wasn't satisfied with them when playing just general entertainment stuff, so I sold them and went back to my JBL Creature II, which is what I had on my computer for a couple years. That lasted for about a week, until my subwoofer died. Well, the set was pretty old. So, gritting my teeth, I decided to see what I could get for under $100. I ended up getting a bit of a deal on eBay on a "new, open box" Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set ("2.1" means two full-range speakers and a subwoofer). They retail for about $150, have been around forever, and are extremely well-regarded. They're also THX-certified, which is almost impossible to find in the price range I was looking at.

They're very, very nice. Provided you don't mind the ginormous size and weight.

These are connected to my computer, of course, and I've used them with both my electronic music stuff and generic entertainment, like TV shows, MP3s, etc. I can actually hear bass lines without mud: I can pick parts out. The sounds for my WX5 electronic wind instrument sound much clearer, too. And, if I break something, there are lots of parts available. They definitely live up to the hype I read. It did take a few days to "burn in" the speakers, though, but the sound really was stunning right out of the box.

I now need a larger desk ...

Ooh, don't get me started on desks! :)

So I'm looking at your suggestion and thinking, hey ... those look familiar. You guessed it, it's what I have on my computers. (I use a switch box to share it between the the home and business computers.) I have long recommended nice speakers to my family and friends for their computers. When you spend a *lot* of time on the computer like I do, you deserve the pleasure of a great sound system for your background music.

Getting possibly further off topic, for WX5 I always wanted to purchase or build a spherical speaker array. Something like these:

http://isobelaudio.com/products/

I already have an acoustic image Contra (originally for bass, but turned out to be a great utility amp), and playing the WX5 through that gets some of the benefits of sound going in multiple directions. My WX has sat in the case too long, sadly.

... That's just a tad more expensive than the Klipsch. If you consider "a tad" to be "about 500% more than." :D

I'm not a big-time audio guy. That's primarily because I don't have the funds to be one. I've never heard of something like the Hemisphere speakers.

Back
Top Bottom