Stolen instruments from Music Store in Sacramento, CA area

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
got this from a NAPBIRT urgent message

NAPBIRT NEWS: May 8, 2013

Stolen Instruments

NAPBIRT Member, Scott Mandeville, sent us an email in regards to a burglary at his music store: Tim's Music. Below is a link to a video about the burglary.

The following is a list of the stolen items:

Serial # Instrument descriptions

M177186 Conn ASX1930 Conn ASX New Wonder Series II
157723 Cannonball S5BL Cannonball SSX Big Bell Black w/ Lacquered Key
V159079 Cannonball AVREL Vintage Reborn ASX Empire Lacquer
150081 Cannonball A5BICEB Cannonball ASX A5BICEB Black Nickel Big Bell
N738698 Selmer 52JBL Selmer ASX Series II Jubilee Black Laquer
PBONE1P Selmer PBONE1P P Bone PRP
V159155 Cannonball TVREL Vintage Reborn TSX Empire Lacquer
316263 Yanagisawa A992PG Yanagisawa ASX, A992PG, Pink Gold
V154069 Cannonball TVPCL Cannonball TSX TVPCL Vintage Pete Christleb
24912035 Selmer AS42 Selmer ASX AS42
AK06912074 Selmer AS32 Selmer ASX AS32
118727 Selmer MARKVIASX Selmer ASX Mark VI
106465 Selmer MARKVIASX Selmer ASX Mark VI

Any help in identifying these instruments and especially the people that have them would be greatly appreciated

J. Scott Mandeville
scott@timsbis.com

Tim's Music
2812 Marconi Ave
Sacramento, CA 95821
Phone: 916.925.9160

I know that there is at least one thread on SOTW regarding stolen instruments and I think there was a website devoted to the topic that was supposed to go up.

A few really high-end saxes in that list. Somebody did his homework on the saxes. But why a Pbone? You've got several saxes that go for mid to high 4-digit $ and a plastic trombone that retails for around $150.

Scott Mandeville is a great tech and a really nice guy to boot. It is tragic what happened in his store. Hopefully the thieves will be caught and the merchandise returned unharmed. And hey, everyone is interested in trombones made out of colorful plastic---thieves included.

I almost bought one of those for my soloist to use when we do Mister Monotony. Dirt cheap, eye catching, and not all that bad as a trombone, or so I've been told.

It's a number that we do with a bit of up front intro and staging. The trombonist comes up front with much fuss and bother, setting up a wire music stand and fidgeting around with a horn stand and stool while the person doing the intro explains that we don't often allow him to solo but we're making an exception this time. If we had the plastic bone, I'd work that in as well.

Once all is up, the female vocalist and rhythm start the tune, which is done in a very slow four as she opens with the very languid "Play-in' on his slide trombone..." lyric. Throughout the majority of the piece, the bone player plays corny llttle two note figures at the end of each vocal phrase, always straight and nothing jazzy, even though the rest of the group develops the tune around him. (He even puts the horn down on the stand at times and looks around bewildered.)

In the vocal, the singer states that she fell in with a "jazzy clarinetter", which is accompanied by a nifty, jazzy solo for the clarinet. Otherwise, it's a sleepy description of how she was tired of her boring trombone player and was shopping around for someone new, someone more exciting.

At the very end, when the vocalist ends up with "Have you got any mo-not-tin-ny to-daaay?", there is a brief one bar break, following which the rhythm picks up the slow vamp again while the trombone player gradually (and very tentatively) starts out corny, but quickly breaks into a nifty jazz solo. The vocalist fills in some vocal comment about how she is once again interested in her boring trombone player, and it all ends up on a broad chord played by the entire group.

I think that the tune (one of Irving Berlin's, I believe) was sung in a show by The Merm herself. The improvised ending was added for a Linda Eder recording, and I had it done a couple of years ago by Spencer. It's a nice three minute way of introducing a trombone player and getting a few laughs in the bargain.

And, all of this would come out of a cheap plastic trombone. So, they do have their uses...

Back
Top Bottom