Taragato vs. tárogató vs. Taragot

Hi,
I read this board name and wondered about. AFAIK the tarogato (
Tárogató) was named a taragot too, but not taragato.
Is this a special name of this instrument or a third version?

kindly
Roman

PS: This is not a correction proposal, it's a real occured question!

Hi,
I read this board name and wondered about. AFAIK the tarogato (Tárogató) was named a taragot too, but not taragato.
Is this a special name of this instrument or a third version?
It's a completely different instrument, just like a saxophone is not a saxaphone is not a saxiphone. :tongue:

Wikipedia: "The tárogató (töröksíp, Turkish pipe; plural tárogatók or, anglicized, tárogatós; Romanian: taragot or torogoata) refers to two different Hungarian woodwind instruments: the ancient tárogató and the modern (or modified) tárogató. The modern tárogató was intended to be a recreation of the original tárogató, but the two instruments are thought to have little in common."

The Tárogató Page: "The modern tárogató was invented in the 1890's, either at the Schunda Factory or the Stowasser Factory. My personal guess is that the founder of Stowasser invented the tárogató while working at the Schunda factory. Both factories made all of the early tárogatók. In either case, the story of the inventor being offended by the large holes and metal construction of the newly invented (circa 1842) saxophone probably contains some truth.

The tárogató featured here should not be confused with the historical Hungarian instrument of the same name, sometimes called a kuruc tárogató. The historical tárogató was a double-reed conical-bore instrument similar to a shawm or a Vienna oboe. Since all living tradition of playing the historical tárogató in Hungary had died out by the 1830's, the name was recycled."

In Musikmesse there was a maker, I think from Romania, who had tárogatós in both saxophone key system and clarinet key system. I'll try to find a photo I think I have one.
That'd be way cool. And mea culpa for not deciding what spelling I should use. I'll just quit writing about them, that will solve the problem.
It's a completely different instrument, just like a saxophone is not a saxaphone is not a saxiphone. :tongue:
How about saxofoon? My personal fav is saxamaphone. :cool:

Here are the tárogatós. They all overblow an octave so it's just the keys that are different.

Looks neat and I listened to some audio clips of them; very different from a clarinet or a sax and unique. Looks like they would use saxophone mpcs right? These are good examples of what I meant when I asked about wood saxophones with metal keys in a thread about Saxwood.

The mouthpiece is not exactly like a saxophone mouthpiece. I guess the actual bore is mostly similar, but made to fit these instruments, but they have a "socket" to fit the corked tenon exactly, much shorter than on the sax mouthpiece.

Here are the tárogatós. They all overblow an octave so it's just the keys that are different.

I wish I hadn't seen that. I really want one of those Boehm clarinet style ones.

These people in Hungary also do one that they call a Boehm system.

http://www.tárogató.hu/english/index_elemei/page0002.htm

As far as I can see it's a classic tárogató with the F and F# fingerings as per Boehm clarinet or saxophone and with an automatic octave mechanism like a saxophone.

My Stephen Fox instrument has a semi-automatic octave mechanism which doesn't automatically switch keys as you go from G to A but does prevent both octave holes being open at the same time. Pressing both opens only the higher hole. This lets you use a couple of fingerings for altissimo notes that wouldn't work with a fully automatic mechanism because L3 would close the top octave hole. That may be why saxophones have the palm keys to get up there.

Thanks Gandalfe for the change!

Last weekend I had the chance to finger a tárogató (historical) at the Holzbläser's ofice in Berlin. What an amazing instrument ;-) It sounds like a bombard (German Name Bombarde or Pommer) or schalm, but its upper register ist different completely from clarinet and/or sax. Well, nice thing ;-)

kindly
Roman

Thanks Gandalfe for the change!
You mean changing the name of this forum to "Tárogató"? That was me.

At some point, we lost the ability to use letters with diacritical marks (like "á"). At some point, it started working again (I think it was when our webhost upgraded the server), so when I saw someone post "Tárogató", I changed the name of the forum :).

As mentioned in the articles I cited earlier, there are some variant spellings and there are a couple of different instruments with the name "Tárogató" or some close variant thereof.

At some point, we lost the ability to use letters with diacritical marks (like "á").
Now I patiently wait for the appearance of a native Maltese instrument, the Għaġo.

(Well actually I just wanted to see how this translates to the forum...)

Someone once told me that the "ø", as in Søren Aabye Kierkegaard, is translated as "Americans can't pronounce this."

Back
Top Bottom