Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

The astonishing genius of Lester Young

Hey folks,

I've been on a bit of a Scott Hamilton binge lately, but today it was all Lester all day--the Kansas City Sessions and LY with the Oscar Peterson trio--and, cliche as it is, I just felt like saying something about how sometimes the reality of Pres' achievement seems both ineffable and unfathomable. I mean, it's all within a fairly narrow compass defined by Young's harmonic sensibility and tone, but in that small room: oh my goodness.

He really is "the man I love."

Rory

Glen. Spare me please, I'm freakin' begging you.

Hey Gandalfe:

Boots! Have you got the "Whole New Ballgame" Cd. I love parts of it, but others..... But I guess thats the Boots Randolph experience.

Has anybody ever completely internalized the AABA song format as Pres? It's like the whole form is one phrase!

R.

You really can't go wrong with Lester. My favorite tenor players all come out of the Lester School.

Lester's my man for triplet 16th's, eighth note, triplet 16th's, eighth note runs. He makes it look effortless. Took me hours to figure out what he was doing in that solo. Boots does it too.

The Boots dude has a 'music minus one' book out titled 'When the Spirit Moves You' that I'm really into right now. I've meant to memorize nine of the songs, but never got past the first. It's all about spending the quality time isn't it.

And now I preparing a bass sax solo featured in Ward Baxter's "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" plus adding two new singers to two other bands. So much to do so little time. :cool:

Today is Lester Young's birthday! Happy birthday Pres!

Radio station WKCR fm is playing a 24 hour birthday tribute all day today, Wednesday, Aug. 27, 89.9 on the fm dial in the greater NYC area, or www.wkcr.org on the internet. Nothing but Pres till midnight tonight.

Also, WKCR will be programing Pres AND Bird tomorrow, August 28th, and ALL BIRD Friday Aug 29th, Bird's birthday. I've placed wkcr's contact info above.

I'd love to be able to play even just a little bit like Lester. I'd take half his talent and be happy.

Back
Top Bottom