The Band Fine - Redux

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
We've been talking about various 'band fines' that we've experienced. Most everyone has been a band that fined you a quarter for gacking a solo, showing up late for a practice, or missing some music. The money usually goes for a get together for beer if nothing else.

The community band I sit with just moved to a venue where the music stands sometimes disappear for a gig elsewhere. So we've asked members to bring their stands just in case. We've a box of rickety old stands that I have suggested we paint pink to further embarrass the slower members of the band. It also ensures that the stand won't walk.

Today, in a jazz groups there has been talk amongst the officers of purchasing pencils with the band logo. We could surprise the members who show up for a practice with a free one and then charge a quarter when they don't have one at a practice.

I know, it's kinda sophomoric. But then so are some of the musicians, all BTW hobbyists.

James Brown, the hardest working man in show business, was the king of fines. $5 increments for whatever, shoes not shined, tie not tied, steps missed, notes missed.

Richard Jones, who came in to play violin on tour with James on the "It's A Man's World" hit record, told me a story about James' fines. Seems that Rich never got a fine, and James was looking to pull the trigger on the violinist. So one day, it's show time and Rich notices that he's forgotten his bow tie. James is eyeing Rich, anticipating the coming of showtime, and the possiblity of the impending fine. So, right before showtime, Rich spots a man in the audience wearing a black bow tie. He goes out into the house and makes a deal with him for his bow tie, paying him more for it than what James' fine probably would have been.

I guess Rich didn't want to give James the satisfaction.

Julian

I had a room-mate, Bob Braun, a legendary bass trombone player who played with many great bands including Buddy Rich, the CC Riders, Ray Charles, and the relief band in Vegas.

The CC Riders, or actually leader Wayne Cochran instituted a fine for being late to the bus on our usual grueling year-round series of one-nighters. The usual victim was Bob, who usually entered the bus (late) with the comment "That's FINE with me!"

We had to cut the band from 11 horns to 8 horns, and the bass trombone chair was one of the first to go. Bob showed up really late to the bus, announcing,

"That's FIRE with Me!"

Hard to play with tongue in cheek...

I have an old compilation of band fines posted here.

I have an old compilation of band fines posted here.
So good I read it, formated it, printed it, framed it and hung it in the music studio. Plus I'm thinking of framing some for xmas presents for some of my fav musicians/instructors. :cool:

Grant I copied this to my blog and pointed to your site as the source.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom