The Orange Devils Big Band

Merlin

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I'm heading in to Toronto to play a gig on Monday night at the Trane Studio with Martin Loomer and the Orange Devils Big Band.

We'll be playing tunes from the early part of the swing era - mostly charts from the repertoire of Fletcher Henderson, Jimmie Lunceford, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Andy Kirk and the Mills Blue Rhythm Band.

The Trane Studio is located at 964 Bathurst St., just N. of Bloor in Toronto. Music starts at 9 p.m.

I'm looking forward to this gig. The band features some excellent musicians. The sax section on this occasion includes veteran reedman Bob Brough on alto/bari/clar, Kira Payne on alto/tenor/clar and Andy Ballantyne on tenor/clar. I'm playing lead alto/soprano/clar.

My recording gear is getting dragged along, since I need some live material for a demo. With any luck, I'll have some good tracks to post here next week.

Martin Loomer and the Orange Devils Big Band recorded Monday, Feb. 23/09 at the Trane Studio in Toronto.

Jazznochracy

Dancing Dogs

These files are hosted on eSnips - seems to work fine; it's a new service to me.

Tech data: Crown SASS-P MkII stereo boundary mic directly into a Zoom H4 digital recorder. No post production EQ or compression.

Last edited:
We play Jazznochracy in a band I sub and I always get the sax solo, so I'll take some ideas from that. Feel free to mail me the MP3 as I can't seem to figure out how to download it. Emailing it to yourself just sends the link.

Last edited:
Merlin, was that your alto solo on Dancing Dogs? Nice playing!

The band has a nice punchy feel. Good loose grove and ability to swing. The drummer knows how to lay on the backbeat when he/she has to, and throws the ensemble into figures nicely. The tenor soloist has a nice swing feel and a clean technique. The band swings well from the rhythm section up to the lead trumpet. Enjoyed listening to both tunes.

Julian

Merlin, was that your alto solo on Dancing Dogs? Nice playing!

The band has a nice punchy feel. Good loose grove and ability to swing. The drummer knows how to lay on the backbeat when he/she has to, and throws the ensemble into figures nicely. The tenor soloist has a nice swing feel and a clean technique. The band swings well from the rhythm section up to the lead trumpet. Enjoyed listening to both tunes.

Julian

Not me - Bob "The Senator" Brough. He was subbing in; I'm playing lead.

The tenor player on Dancing Dogs is Kira Payne.

Just did a concert with the Orange Devils for the Toronto Duke Ellington Society. Didn't plug it, since they always sell out the house.

Here's one of my fave clips:

Scattin' at the Kit Kat

(it's a long one and high quality 320k, so it's about 10 meg)

Back
Top Bottom