The Virtual Flute

Discussion in 'The Flute Family: General Discussion' started by pete, May 4, 2010.

1. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

While I was searching for something completely different, I ran across http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/music/flute/virtual/main.html

Here's a quote from that page:

"There are approximately 40,000 fingerings for the Boehm flute. These results are based on theoretical calculations, using a theory that agrees well with experiment for the hundred or so acoustic impedance spectra we have measured."

In other words, have fun with an almost complete fingering chart :).

Tags:
  2. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Thanks Pete, what a great resource. I sent it to my flute playing band director, the flute section leader, and my wife. Suzy and I have been working on the flute half-heartedly for a while now.

3. Carl H.

Carl H. Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

I'll have to work at the flute a bit harder to elevate my playing from half assed to half hearted.

4. jbtsax

jbtsax Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

On the flute, I can play fast in the easy keys but only half fast in the hard ones.

5. Groovekiller

Groovekiller Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

I'm still trying to sound good using the fingerings on the Rubank fingering chart.

6. fox

fox

Thanks pete!

Groovekiller - I re-did the fingering charts that came from Rubank and the Wagner book. IIRC, I found a couple of the fingerings in Rubank to be wrong; the Wagner book had this really weird method to show fingering. Instead of which fingers to press down the Wagner book was using which holes are open or closed which can be a bit confusing when you're first learning.
    What I did looks somewhat like the tabs for guitar and shows which fingers are pressed down, which makes it much easier than the way Wagner did.

7. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

And no half closed fingerings to help with certain notes? Yeah, I need to spend more time on this.

8. SOTSDO

SOTSDO Old King Log Staff Member CE/Moderator

Jeez Louise! They've got way too much time on their hands down in New South Wales...