This day in history...

Y'know, one of these days I'd like to see a Sax history that lists all of Adolphe Sax's patents regarding the saxophone.

Wired Thingy said:
Initially crafted from wood, Sax’s instruments flared at the tip to form a music-amplifying bell.
Sounds like a bass clarinet, to me :D. (I trying to think of of an alto clarinet joke for Terry, but I'm too tired this evening.)

I find it interesting that most band and orchestra instruments were evolved into what they are today. The saxophone is probably the only commonly used instrument that you can point to a date and say, "Born here." Yes, there probably wouldn't have been a saxophone if not for the clarinet and ophicleide, but it's not like the gradual evolution of a stick with a bunch of holes in it to the modern flute.

I find it interesting that most band and orchestra instruments were evolved into what they are today. The saxophone is probably the only commonly used instrument that you can point to a date and say, "Born here." Yes, there probably wouldn't have been a saxophone if not for the clarinet and ophicleide, but it's not like the gradual evolution of a stick with a bunch of holes in it to the modern flute.

Good point. In 100 years, the saxophone evolved from a conical bore single reed instrument with 2 octave keys to a conical bore single reed instrument with one octave key. The change was even slower than Darwin predicted.

Y'know, one of these days I'd like to see a Sax history that lists all of Adolphe Sax's patents regarding the saxophone.

Sounds like a bass clarinet, to me :D. (I trying to think of of an alto clarinet joke for Terry, but I'm too tired this evening.)

I have several files about early saxophone patents in pdf format, but am unable to attach them because of their size. Is there any way I can increase the amount of storage available?

I have several files about early saxophone patents in pdf format, but am unable to attach them because of their size. Is there any way I can increase the amount of storage available?
It shall be done.

It shall be done.

Thanks Pete. In addition to being a pita on SOTW, my other favorite hobby is doing research. :)

Attached are a few of the files that I have collected concerning early saxophone patents for those who might be interested.

The diagrams in the second patent document you posted jbt, really prove the point of my June 28 blog post. :emoji_smile:

Seriously though, well done! (If Pete would have loaded some more smileys, I'd give you the thumbs up sign here.)

i like the vibrating membrane in the neck register to make it sounds like a viola.

and before Terry mentions it,
notice that in 1834 Mr Sax "perfected the bass clarinet" with no mention what-so-ever of the alto clarinet.

it also is missing a rather special event in 1966.

i like the vibrating membrane in the neck register to make it sounds like a viola.
Conn also tried something like this on one of their innumerable stencils in the 1930s/1940s.

I have already covered Sax and the bass clarinet...

...in some detail.

I have saxophone players scoff at me all the time when I tell them that the saxophone was an afterthought, only approached after he got finished with the instrument that really mattered. Philistines!

...in some detail.

I have saxophone players scoff at me all the time when I tell them that the saxophone was an afterthought, only approached after he got finished with the instrument that really mattered. Philistines!

You're talking about the saxhorns, of course! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom